Dinzag's AKS-410 Conversion Part 3

Here's the latest pics...Click Here

continued from Part 1 and Part 2

post-2093-1139375229_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1139375279_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1139375317_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1139375361_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1139375420_thumb.jpg

Pressed off gas block again and fitted an AK lower retainer. (Thanks Rick-16) I had to open the bore about 0.030" and notch the barrel.

Also modded an AK gas tube to fit. Had to shorten OAL & shave some off the RSB end to fit the Saiga RSB.

I robbed the furniture off my 7.62x39 for fitting until the new stuff comes. Going to get a laminated set from ironwood designs.

The choke on the barrel is a paradox I got from Wolverine. (Thanks!)

Next will be test firing again & then tearing back apart & painting

Thanks for looking!

:smoke:

edited to add:

I'm probably leaving the SAW grip on there for now.

I can fit the choke wrench & 2 chokes in there.

Edited by dinzag

Thats a beauty bro!!!!

( I am not too find of the FAL grip... never have been... even on the FAL! ... but thats just me... )

Other than that... that needs to take its place besides Cobra's Shotties! :up: :up:

:smoke:

Thank ya...The SAW grips have their place on a synthetic setup, but not with

wood. I use the choke wrench for changing the gas setting & chokes so it's a

handy storage place. I'll update the pics when I get the new furniture... :smoke:

Sweet dude I love it! :super:

Hey that mag looks kinda familiar...

OK now it's for sure. I'm going to have to put wood on my .410 or find another one to do it with.

Thanks!

Some redneck down in NC sent me those mags. :lolol::lolol:

Bump...

Got her painted and installed some new furniture I traded for my old Romy HG's & a SAW grip.

Also re-did receiver lettering.

Bulged Lam Lower HG, Lam Upper HG & Wood PG (all Bulgarian)

-traded for-

Romy Upper & Lower HG's & SAW grip

post-2093-1139736367_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1139736400_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1139736438_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1139736478_thumb.jpg

Wow that turned out great dinzag! I love the laminate furniture.

Crayola power! And to think I was brought up with the understanding that if I used my crayons on anything besides paper they would all be promptly broken into little pieces.

The white lettering really brings it out but I think if it was me I would use black on the "AKs for dummies" stamp on the left rear. Or better yet fill it with JB or something.

Wow that turned out great dinzag! I love the laminate furniture.

Crayola power! And to think I was brought up with the understanding that if I used my crayons on anything besides paper they would all be promptly broken into little pieces.

The white lettering really brings it out but I think if it was me I would use black on the "AKs for dummies" stamp on the left rear. Or better yet fill it with JB or something.

Thanks! My daughter helped with the coloring. :smoke:

I could always machine it off & leave it scabby like some of the "new" S-12's. :lolol:

Yeah, the poly/varnish on the new furniture needs to be removed & re-done but otherwise it's pretty sharp. Looks like it was done with a stick. It will suffice until I can upgrade to something new.

Looks frickin' sweet! I like it. I'm thinking about putting an East German set on mine. Very nice...

Wow, don't know what the heck happened here, anyway...

Edited by greatmoose
Looks frickin' sweet! I like it. I'm thinking about putting an East German set on mine. Very nice...

Thanks man!

Thanks man!

:lolol:

Cobra - I had a triple reply yesterday & went back & deleted it...

Bad juju from the S-12 import problems?.. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I refinished the furniture in red. I wanted blood red, but it came out a touch lighter. I love it! :wub:

RIT scarlet dye dissolved in alcohol - rubbed in, then 5 coats of oil, then two coats of semi-gloss polyurethane. :smoke:

post-2093-1141686384_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1141686448_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1141686537_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1141686644_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1141698124_thumb.jpg

Edited by dinzag

Yup, sure does! :up: Taking her out this weekend with her blonde middle sister

to bust their cherries with their new furniture! Maybe their black big sis will make

it home before we have to go!

Thanks for looking guys! :smoke:

I refinished the furniture in red. I wanted blood red, but it came out a touch lighter. I love it! :wub:

RIT scarlet dye dissolved in alcohol - rubbed in, then 5 coats of oil, then two coats of semi-gloss polyurethane. :smoke:

s_410_red_1.jpg

s_410_red_2.jpg

s_410_red_3.jpg

s_410_red_5.jpg

s_410_red_4.jpg

Reminds me of "The Red Violin". Of course it wasn't red dye they used to stain that. :smoke:

Man, now that I went back and read your earlier posts on your RSB work, I am even more impressed, That is about as close to the 410k as it gets, my hat is off to you. I'm truly jealous!!!

Thanks! :super:

You can do the cutting & welding in an afternoon. I did the S-20 in 1/2 the time and it was more labor intensive. Main thing is reaming out the FSB & welding the RSB or finding someone to do it.

I'm looking at putting an AKM cleaning rod/FSB/GB on the S-223 so I will probably put that gas block on the 410 since it's all Russian parts anyhow. Looks like the gas port will need to be moved on the barrel a tad. I think that and a brake would finish it off. I have a '74 brake ready to hog out & fit to a thread protector. Just need to find me an adjustable reamer so I don't have to keep leaning on the local machine shop for freebies.

Tritium, I thought of that back in deer season about staining a stock set for my AKS-20 with blood from my buck. Once it's sealed with polyurethane it shouldn't rot right? No oxygen. Kind of twisted yeah, but the more I think about it, the more I want to try it. :unsure:

Edited by dinzag

Beautiful....i bought a 410 back in 1998 or 99 ....never fired it, been under bed....Now after seeing this id love to do this....My question is Who is available to do this conversion for me ( im all thumbs) id provide the AK furniture and would pay for the labor and other parts i need any suggestions please email me JOEZETA@AOL.COM

Beautiful....i bought a 410 back in 1998 or 99 ....never fired it, been under bed....Now after seeing this id love to do this....My question is Who is available to do this conversion for me ( im all thumbs) id provide the AK furniture and would pay for the labor and other parts i need any suggestions please email me JOEZETA@AOL.COM

I would want big $$$ to do something like that on someone elses gun. It's way too labor intensive to do cost efficiently. I could possibly put a parts kit together if you could find someone to weld the RSB for you.

Man, now that I went back and read your earlier posts on your RSB work, I am even more impressed, That is about as close to the 410k as it gets, my hat is off to you. I'm truly jealous!!!

Thanks! :super:

You can do the cutting & welding in an afternoon. I did the S-20 in 1/2 the time and it was more labor intensive. Main thing is reaming out the FSB & welding the RSB or finding someone to do it.

I'm looking at putting an AKM cleaning rod/FSB/GB on the S-223 so I will probably put that gas block on the 410 since it's all Russian parts anyhow. Looks like the gas port will need to be moved on the barrel a tad. I think that and a brake would finish it off. I have a '74 brake ready to hog out & fit to a thread protector. Just need to find me an adjustable reamer so I don't have to keep leaning on the local machine shop for freebies.

Tritium, I thought of that back in deer season about staining a stock set for my AKS-20 with blood from my buck. Once it's sealed with polyurethane it shouldn't rot right? No oxygen. Kind of twisted yeah, but the more I think about it, the more I want to try it. :unsure:

That certainly would be "different." Guess we're both kinda twisted :wacko::cryss::)

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen any with a rear leaf sight, much less a RPK one. But yes, a RPK rear will go right on it. I didn't figure all that out until after I had it done... :smoke: You will have to notch the barrel for the RSB pin and possibly narrow the RSB some to fit it in the trunnion.

Edited by dinzag