RAA S-12's have 17.2" barrels

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the ones I got from FBMG and RSR have 17.2" barrels. They would be 18.2" if the choke was blind pinned in place.

I will have to add a permenant extension, flash hider or something to everyone's gun.

Edited by TonyRumore

Now we have a big fucking problem.

I'm very interested in this piece of news Tony. One of the S-12s from FBMG is mine for you to convert. Hope they are not all with the barrels that are too short.

Holy Schmokes! How many of these will pass thru to end users because they are assumed to be kosher. I hate to even second guess the ATF's response :( At the very best, this is going to be a HUGE inconvenience.

Tony, Please no insult meant, but I have to ask ...

How many shotties? Are they all measuring consistent?

I understand the measuremeant to be ... close bolt, stick rod down till touches breech face, mark stick at bbl end. measure from end of stick to the mark. This seem about right?

Wow, over a year to get them here and they are SBS's? Outrageous.

Yes, I measured them with a rod down the barrel, up against the closed bolt.

I measured 12ea of them. They are all 17.2".

This happened in the 80's with a batch of HK93's. They had 15.3" barrels on them. They had to go back to the distributer to have an extension permanently affixed to the barrel.

It's really no big deal for me, since I cut most of them down to 16.5" and permanently add a flash hider anyway. But I would rather do that here, not send all the shit back to RAA.

Tony, "we" don't have a big fucking problem at all...but someone sure dropped the ball. If they all showed up that way RAA better get their shit straight in a hurry. Man, your set to make a killing if you can produce enough brakes to retrofit the problem. How the hell did it go from selling 22" versions that were actually 23" to this????? Going to be a trip watching this one play out, I bet someones puckered up pretty tight about now.

Yes, I measured them with a rod down the barrel, up against the closed bolt.

I measured 12ea of them. They are all 17.2".

This happened in the 80's with a batch of HK93's. They had 15.3" barrels on them. They had to go back to the distributer to have an extension permanently affixed to the barrel.

It's really no big deal for me, since I cut most of them down to 16.5" and permanently add a flash hider anyway. But I would rather do that here, not send all the shit back to RAA.

Hated to even ask, but this is so bad I had to.

Sounds to me like the conversion was bad, or more likely they measured them with the chokes threaded on and forgot about them not being part of the bbl unless permanently affixed.

I'm going to guess there will be some money to be made by someone (cough*Tony gets my vote *cough) permenantly affixing a polychoke to these (to keep the adjustable choke nature of the base model?).

I would guess that at least the next shipment will end up having the cylinder chokes blind pinned in place. But with such a thin barrel on a shotgun, I doubt blind pinning would work very well unless it is welded in place. That means setting up a TiG or possibly using a MiG and reworking all the guns at RAA. I am sure there are already a pile more of them already made like this that are inbound now, or already complete at the Russian plant.

What surprises me is that they made it this far into the supply chain before anyone measured the damn thing.

Russian American Armory = A BUNCH OF #&(^$ IDIOTS.

This does not make them Fucking idiots. It simply means that Russia fucked up on something they should have gotten right in the first place, and done the damn orders exactly as they were before when EAA imported them. Yeah, RAA should have measured them but fuck, this isn't the forst time that Izy has had US shipments to send out, they should know better by now.

Get to work Tony, Crank out some FH's and make some cash.

IJ

Seems like there is a major problem in transferring these... they are NFA weapons. May not be as simple as tacking on a FS. They are no longer "sporting" as defined for import, but rather NFA weapons... I bet there is going to be a recall on all of these... what a freakin bummer.

The ATF is going to have to figure out what the appropriate fix is going to be for this. I sure as hell am not going to ship unregistered SBS shotguns out my door unless I have an ATF letter approving this. I don't care who they are going to.

Also, I have several that I already registered as 8" SBS guns. Kinda hard to send those back now.

Edited by TonyRumore
Holy crap dude...sounds like a major hiccup.

Funny part is no one would have ever noticed had he not been doing the evil conversion. I was going to SBS the thing anyway but DAMN I didnt want to have to form 4 it to pick it up. Probably after this there will be no more coming in.

Edited by Koga Shuko

Yeah, I didn't notice until the conversion was done and I went to cut the barrel to 16.5" to add a permanent flash hider on it.

I ran the tape across it and it came out at 17" instead of 19". I am sure I looked like a deer in the headlights at that moment. I'm like, what the.......FUCK!

LOL, everyone is talking about the things being made in 2000 and 2001. Funny part is that the damn things were probably made by the hundreds of thousands and are just sitting in a warehouse somewhere. They might have been like "we sell these and no one will notice" not knowing the barrel length means things here.

What if we all wrote a letter to the ATF on Tony's behalf stating that we have done business with him and that he is certainly more than qualified to bring these shotguns into compliance.

I want Tony to get the business on this, too.

I still think RAAC is run by a bunch of idiots. I am also afraid to see what they come up with if these all have to get sent back to their office.

HAS ANYONE INFORMED RAAC FIREARMS USA?

The other option is that they just grant them all amnesty and register tham as SBSes for us. I would think it is kind of their fault too. They are suppose to have a handle on something that is coming into the country 10,000 peices or more at a time.

Edited by Koga Shuko

I have a feeling that since they are NOW NFA weapons in hand, that you are probably going to be ordered to return them to the distributor, or show that they are destroyed, probably by removing the barrel.

Its no different than the AK's with the third hole that was riveted shut, they WERE a machinegun, and were contraband immediately.

I dont even discount a visit from an agent to pick it up if you dont immediately comply with an order from the seller to return it as ordered.

In fact, I had one of the M76 Yugo "Dragunov" type rifles, that were sold by SOG, since I owned it less than one year, there was no way I could have transferred it off the books as an FFL, so if it had been sold, they wanted to know to who, and if not, to return it, AT MY COST within 2 weeks I believe, for a refund.

I squawked about having to pay shipping back to them, and they told me just to keep the rifle, and they would inform the BATFE that is was still in my posession, but unless I returned it, I wouldnt get the $1500 back after the 2 week time limit.

Not to sound anti gun here, but I would see about returning them, after verifying that the one you have is not 18", or immediately permanently attach a choke or brake to it, so that if it is checked its in compliance, and not being a legal expert on SBR laws, I dont know if doing that yourself is legal, besides the blind pin, I believe an 1100 degree silver solder, or welding, are allowable methods of attachment, but due to the barrel thickess, the silver solder sounds like the only practical way, (Im a certified welder), and even with a TIG, burn through may be a problem.

Either way, it sounds like an immediate reason to have your asshole examined by the BATFE, if you own one, and dont return it back to the seller.

What a screw up on RAA's part, kind of makes me glad I didnt wait to buy mine, seeing that mine are newer than the ones being imported, as well as being legal.

Whats really scary, is that not ONE person in the company, or customs, CHECKED the barrel lengths, it really makes you feel good about our national security system, doesnt it?

that's a messy little situation.

Tony, have you been able to contact the distributors that you got the weapons from to see what they have to say?

Will everything be legal and above board once you cut them down and file a form 2? or would they still be in limbo after that?

Have you called your lawyer yet?

Remeber there are probably over 10,000 of these in the states now. This is goign to take them time to do anything. Also since it isnt a machine gun it doenst fall under the same things. The simple fix would be just to file a damn form 1. Not 100% within the law but the ATF would more likely let it slide till it is approved that way.

I have considered doing a SBS on mine but dont know. Since silver sader and a tourch in a kit will run me close to $100 might as well form 1 it.

Another large problem is that there is no way to really tell if they are all going to be like this or if they came in different batches like this. This is the kind of thing I wish no one had ever noticed.

Edited by Koga Shuko