FULL METAL JACKET OR HOLLOW POINT?

Guest FULL_AUTO_990

Guest FULL_AUTO_990

doesnt the hollow point do more damage than the full metal jacket? wouldnt the hollow point mushroom faster than the fmj? i was shooting a 2x4 today with my 22.cal. i shot hp's and fmj's and noticed that the exit holes were the same. maybe i should shoot my 7.62x39mm at the 2x4 seens how it is a bigger bullet? or shoot a thicker piece of wood?

oh and has any one shot those new 22.cal bullets. the SHOCKER( the bullet splits into 3 pieces leaving 3 exit holes)

or the other new 22cal.LR 60 GRAIN bullets? do these have some kick? :killer:

HP will do more damage to soft targets, FMJ will do more damage to hard targets, because FMJ has more penetration and HP has more short term energy transmission to target. Basically, if the bullet stays in the target, it's transmitted all its energy. If it does it over a short space, for which an HP is better, you get more of an instantaneous shock at that point. If it does it over a long space, it's more spread out. If it leaves the target, you don't have maximum energy transmission to target.

FMJ is designed to get through a target without transmitting all its energy. In the case of hard targets, it's so that it can get inside and continue to do damage. If it's a human, it's so that he won't take all the energy of the bullet, in keeping with the Hague convention. It also can do its damage well behind soft targets. If your enemy is hiding behind a thin enough tree, a full power FMJ (full power = 308, 30-06, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54R, etc) will easily punch through.

HP is better if you don't want to overpenetrate and want to stop your target in its tracks. 1.5" of pine (which is far less dense than flesh) appears not to be enough to really demonstrate the expansion properties of HP. Also, the 7.62x39mm isn't the best round to demonstrate these properties. A Hydrashok pistol round is a good example.

The main advantage of 7.62x39mm HP is accuracy. I myself use both, with a preference to HP. If I can pull off better soft target penetration with FMJ, I may switch.

Ditto what G3 said. The 7.62x39mm Russian hp is not going to act like any American made hp ammo. The Russian uses a steel jacket that is copper plated on all bullets. The only difference between the fmj and hp bullet is the tip is cut off the hp ammo to make the hollow point. The hp doesn't open up but allow the lead core to flow and the bullet bends into a U shape when it hits a soft target. As you can see from the pic of a brochure of Golden Tiger ammo made by the Vympel factory in Russia.

966vymple_bullets-1-med.jpg