Questions regarding Saiga construction....

Greetings All,

I would like to know the thickness of the receiver on a Saiga rifle. Also I am interested in the profile of the barrel. I have Romanian AK's (1mm receivers, light barrel) and Chinese AK's (1.5mm receivers, heavy barrel) and would like to know how the Saiga compares. Also, is it safe to assume that Saiga's have chrome lined bores?Lastly, I have seen some Saiga(?) conversions that have dimples in the magwell and others that don't, what gives?

Thanks ,

peterstamm

I recently measured the thickness of the receiver at 1mm. The barrels are chrome lined. Some of the 7.62's do have dimpled receivers and these pieces may have originally been on the production line for military consumption and were then put into the batch for the sporter model. My dimpled receiver was also stamped in Cyrillic with the 'safe' and 'fire' for the safety. If you want a dimpled receiver many of the dealers will try to pick one from their lot that has one, if available.

And, welcome to the forum!

Edited by tritium
I recently measured the thickness of the receiver at 1mm. The barrels are chrome lined. Some of the 7.62's do have dimpled receivers and these pieces may have originally been on the production line for military consumption and were then put into the batch for the sporter model. My dimpled receiver was also stamped in Cyrillic with the 'safe' and 'fire' for the safety. If you want a dimpled receiver many of the dealers will try to pick one from their lot that has one, if available.

And, welcome to the forum!

Tritium,

Thanks for the information and the welcome!

I would definitely want a receiver that has dimples. Can you suggest any dealers who might be willing to sort through their inventory for a dimpled receiver?

Thanks again,

peterstamm

I would definitely want a receiver that has dimples. Can you suggest any dealers who might be willing to sort through their inventory for a dimpled receiver?

Think Gilberts Gubs mentioned they would sort through them if someone is looking for a dimpled receiver. Would think if you asked any dealer they should be willing to check if they want to make a sale. Good luck!