Hi. I've got the longer 308 with the wooden furniture. I'd like to make a pistol grip, but I'm unsure what type of wood to use. I have access to a good artist's remnant shop, so I don't think matching just about anything would be a problem. Anyone have a good wood suggestion to match the factory furniture? Finishes as well? Thanks.

Factory furniture is beech from the examples I've seen. I used to be able to buy beech wood but it's not available anymore. A lose-lose deal if you ask me.

I think harder than matching the wood would be matching the finish the Russians use. This seriously isn't a shameless plug, but consider buying a complete matching wood set made for the P-grip config and then selling your complete matching factory set as a whole. They bring in a decent amount of money, making the wood stocked S-308 a very good deal from the factory.

That being said, knock yourself out on making your own grip. It's a fun and rewarding project that allows you the ultimate customization.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
Factory furniture is beech from the examples I've seen. I used to be able to buy beech wood but it's not available anymore. A lose-lose deal if you ask me.

I think harder than matching the wood would be matching the finish the Russians use. This seriously isn't a shameless plug, but consider buying a complete matching wood set made for the P-grip config and then selling your complete matching factory set as a whole. They bring in a decent amount of money, making the wood stocked S-308 a very good deal from the factory.

That being said, knock yourself out on making your own grip. It's a fun and rewarding project that allows you the ultimate customization.

No shameless plug taken on my end. I appreciate the input. I've actually got some beech that's about twenty-five years old. The only problem is that it's only about a single quarter thick, and I hate to try to laminate it given that it will need a mounting bolt. Was from my grandfather's small furniture repair shop.

I've considered the furniture you sell, but I didn't think you were taking any more orders. The lyptus set that was for sale several months ago with the rifle and mags looked like it would've turned out well.

Thanks again for the reply.

No shameless plug taken on my end. I appreciate the input. I've actually got some beech that's about twenty-five years old. The only problem is that it's only about a single quarter thick, and I hate to try to laminate it given that it will need a mounting bolt. Was from my grandfather's small furniture repair shop.

I've considered the furniture you sell, but I didn't think you were taking any more orders. The lyptus set that was for sale several months ago with the rifle and mags looked like it would've turned out well.

Thanks again for the reply.

I go on and off taking more orders. Right now I'm stacked pretty high, but can always talk. It sometimes takes while to nail down all the details.

If you want to try to laminate some wood you have, make sure the surface is perfectly flat. I would suggest Gorilla glue or a competitor. Sounds like it would make a great one-time project, even though the work would be a bit much for regular production.