G3 sights install

I hope to be installing some G3 sights on my s12 soon.

The Front sight install seems quite academic.

post-6341-1190259937_thumb.jpg

But what should be done with the rear sight?

I have seen pictures where the rear G3 sight was attached to the top cover using the robert rtg g3 rear sight base. post-6341-1190260352_thumb.jpg

But I have also seen pics that show no mount at all. post-6341-1190260416_thumb.jpg

Which is the better way to complete the install? Which will enable the sights to line up properly?

Edited by macgyverhk
Anyone know whats best?

I find that using the factory base from a HK series weapon works great. The main reason he uses his own mount is availability. Sometimes finding the sight base is quite a pain. I get mine from RobertRTG. Make sure you do the mock-up with the cover on the rifle. Then mark the cover and take it off to weld. Seems like every cover I've done does not sit exactly square with the receiver. SO making the sight base level with the cover on the gun works best for me. And watch the heat on the front sight, you can deform the threads if your not careful.

Edited by cyclic

I was thinking about just a tac in each corner as apposed to the huge bead seen in the first picture. As fas as the threads you mean the threads inside of the gass tube? /haven't taken one apart yet.

I was also thinking of installing a cetme front sight instead because of the adjustability but prefer the look of the HK. Any thoughts if going cetme is necessary?