Got my 16" .308- couple of mod questions

I got my 16" carbine yesterday at a gun show ($305) and have a couple of questions about modifications, as I'm new to the Saiga game (but not the AK world)

I've ordered a VLTOR stock extension, Tapco G2 single hook, and Tapco pistol grip. I'll cannibalize a Magpul CTR stock or LMT Crane SOPMOD stock

Here are my questions.....

1) I know someone locally who does the pistol grip conversion. I want to thread the barrel, and move the FSB back so that I can attach a muzzle brake. I'll rent the threading kit from Dinzag. Is this something that a qualified gunsmith should be able to do?

2) what is the best rail system to use on the Saiga .308 without heavy mods? I have the UTG quad rail on a 5.45 and it seems decent but don't know how much metal would have to be Dremelled off to fit this barrel.

3) I am thinking about a JPoint style red dot to go on top of the rail. If I don't go that route, what is generally regarded as the best side rail scope mount? You see all sorts of garbage at gun shows and I'd appreciate some guidance.

4) What would be a good "budget" 3X scope? (my budget is around $300) I've heard Sightron S2 scopes are a good deal

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

this Krebs .308 is what got me interested in Saiga rifles to begin with....didn't feel like spending $1800 on a DSA Congo FAL

standard-barrel-308.jpg

Thanks very much for your help!

Edited by Boss Hogg
  • 3 weeks later...
Don't give up, it's quite easy to thread the barrel. Check out Dinzagarms.com for just about everything you asked for.

Yes the UTG quad rail works for the S308 too!

I took the S308 to the range 2 weeks ago. This thing has huge potential. I'm used to a pistol grip so it was tough to pull the sporter stock back into the shoulder to reduce recoil. It was dead on at 25 yards (NO adjustment- surprising for an AK!), grouping very tightly, and at 50 yards it was a couple of inches high (indoor range). Would love to put a JPoint red-dot on a rail as my eyes have trouble with standard AK sights. But, it's good enough for govt. work.

Edited by Boss Hogg