Newbie says hello to everyone

I've been doing research on the internet and lurking on this site for the last few months and decided on a Saiga 7.62.39 with a 16.3" barrel. We took it out last weekend and it was everyone's favorite gun. It is light and powerful without the shoulder bruising of a Mosin Nagant.

The Saiga 10 round mag fed flawlessly, but the brand new 30 round ProMags wouldn't seat well; they misfed and even fell out during firing. A workbench visit with a caliper comparison between the factory and aftermarket mags along with a file soon produced a complete set of mags that will snap tightly in to the weapon. I have not yet fired it to see the functional results.

I like the way the gun allows individual design. I'm not interested in an AK 47 look, but rather a modified wood sporter with a honking mag, a shortened forend and a little of that nasty gas tube showing! Maybe strip off that black paint and go for a blued finish too, along the lines of the photos by Cobra and Blender Wizard. Also add enough USA parts that keep all those mags legal.

Thanks to each of you for your contributions to the body of knowledge about these fantastic guns and I hope to be supporting the work at least as much as I have gained.