A little frustrated, someone set me straight

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 308 saiga and i'm lookin for a little encouragement. I have lusted over the saiga 308 for five years, ever since i first heard about it. heck, i even bought two eight round mags for it off a board member in 2004--$28.50 shipped for both, oh how times change. (the funds for the gun never materialized back then so i sold them )

it really fits the bill for what im looking for. durable, reliable, simple, great round-- i'm drinking the "5.56x45 lacks stopping power and 7.62x39 sucks past 200-300 yards" koolaid. :P -- pretty good accuracy, easily scopable, lots of add ons to choose from. except the one thing that has always been the bane of the saiga 308 (IMO) -- hi-cap magazines.

i have been following it thru the years, and so i was pretty excited about the FBMG 308 mags. while not entirely excited about paying $45/ pop for plastic mags they seemed to have a good reputation. so i started getting excited again(maybe a year ago?) about buying one. picked one up in december after the mad rush subsided somewhat and gilberts had them for $550.

except come to find out after i bought, FBMG stopped making them!! there are the surefire still, i realize, but it seems so hit and miss--some people have good luck and others dont. thats not the type of product i'm looking for. i'm following the FAL mag converter development with high hopes.

with the uncertain political future, "waiting it out" may not be a great option. i am thinking of going with a DPMS 308 AR and selling the saiga. $30 hi quality steel mags sounds pretty good to me right now. thoughts? (other than "i'll do you a favor, i'll take it off your hands and i want charge ya nothin! :lolol: )

--Dave

--edit-- I should add, I do not have an extensive collection like some of you. pistol(XD 40), shotgun(12 GA over/under), bolt action(k31), and the saiga. i am really trying to round out all my needs with the addition of the saiga (or its replacement with the 308 AR) as my interest in shooting lately can't justify extensive spending, too many other hobbies and traveling to do.

Edited by ralphie