Well first post....just like to say great forum here! Lots of awesome tips, videos, and great advice.

I recently ordered a Saiga 12 with a 24" barrel(before i found this forum), seems to me after reading more(which i suppose i should have first), there are no threads, which means a "fixed cylinder", or no choking?

If this is the case, what kind of range can i expect from this bad boy? Should i abandon all hopes of shooting clays now? I was hoping for something that could reach out a little farther than what i have now(Stoeger P-350 Home Defense). No i have not even attempted to shoot clays with my current shotgun.

Thanks, and apologies for any ignorance in my post.

It's a cyclinder choke. Should work great for skeet, depends on the range for clays. 20 yds is ideal. After 30 yds you will start to get inconsistent results.

Thanks for the reply.....

My original choice was the 19 inch, with threads. Found a supplier that had them in stock ready to ship, went to my ffl so they could transfer paperwork, and they talked me into using their supplier, whom was out of 19 inch, yet had the 24 inch. In all the excitement, i over looked that detail to my dismay.

Regardless, the ffl said we can work it out, and i can refuse the 24 inch if i want, and order the 19 inch with choke, the original i wanted to order that is.

20-30 yards is all i am really looking for anyways, what do you suggest?

When you get the gun check out the action markings. The action will be marked as to what choke the barrel is. There is a section on page 11 in the instruction book that tells what to look for and how to decode the marking. Ex :F 1.0 is full choke. If there is no choke marking it is open cylinder (No choke).

If you do have an open cylinder bore model you can take it to a gunsmith and he can tap the barrel to accept screw in chokes like most other American shotguns use. its not that big of a job. It should not cost a whole lot to do that. Or you can have the barrel threaded on the outside to accept a Poly choke.

I have a 24" S12 with a Poly choke. It is an awesome trap gun. I love it. I can bust clay birds at 40 yards using modified choke setting. I am better shot with my S12 than I am with my Pump guns.

Edited by tommygunner
When you get the gun check out the action markings. The action will be marked as to what choke the barrel is. There is a section on page 11 in the instruction book that tells what to look for and how to decode the marking. Ex :F 1.0 is full choke. If there is no choke marking it is open cylinder (No choke).

If you do have an open cylinder bore model you can take it to a gunsmith and he can tap the barrel to accept screw in chokes like most other American shotguns use. its not that big of a job. It should not cost a whole lot to do that. Or you can have the barrel threaded on the outside to accept a Poly choke.

I have a 24" S12 with a Poly choke. It is an awesome trap gun. I love it. I can bust clay birds at 40 yards using modified choke setting. I am better shot with my S12 than I am with my Pump guns.

Well, that is good news, thanks. Quite a few gunsmiths here in Wyoming, so i shouldnt have trouble finding one. I will accept the 24" when it comes in.

Looks like i have a Paradox then, i couldnt find any markers consistent with page 11. Just a "4" maybe its a "H" and a "1"

Well, my delicious S12 came in on Wednesday. To my surprise, the 24 incher came with an outer thread protector, yes, threads on the outer barrel!

So, i installed my T6 Tapco stock, piece of cake to my surprise. I'm a first timer, so didn't have much confidence in doing it. So i am ordering a polychoke ASAP! I am officially retiring the Stoeger P-350, not that it was really doing any work anyways, well besides pissing off the old lady taking up closet space, hehe.

Thanks to all that posted with info! :ph34r:

PS. No barrel markings as far as choke i could find? All the other markings were there... weird? Or no?

Edited by deadman2312