O.D. for the .308 barrel?

I am collecting parts for my conversion and have found a guy in texas that has the "wind river muzzle brake" . These are blanks that are put onto whatever rifle you like. They come in 1/2, 9/16 & 5/8" x 32tpi. Which one do I want for the saiga .308?

RSH

post-6-1108703692.jpg

are you removing the front sight? im not sure what the diameter is under the sight.mine wouldnt come off after i bought a 5/8 x 24 tpi mb and fh for my .308. the die/t.a.t. for it didnt really fit that well after i cut off 3" of the barrel. it took a little dremmel work to get the die to bite into the metal. if you dont mind a little bit of work, get the 5/8" and go for it.

Do you have a link for the fellow with the wind river muzzle brakes?

Sounds like you are trying to do what I am trying to do!

(and I'm having a devil of a time)

The C1 30-cal threaded adapter from Brownells does not fit even over the smaller portion fo barrel ahead of the front sight. I did a measure of that smaller portion and IIRC it was .715, but the diameter of the front sight base is bigger of course: .775 inches by my sort-of precise measurements.

In fractions: 5/8 is .625 inches, 23/32 is .71875 (yeah!), 3/4=.75, 25/64= .78125.

(Keyboard is mimicking my mental rambling)

So I am looking for one as close as possible if i can't find one specifically made for the dimensions i want.

C-

I planned to keep the front sight even though I may need to trim the top due to it blocking the view of my scope or if I cannot use the iron sites at all with the scope I just might remove it totally. I am installing the POSP 6x24V. As far as the wind river brakes go it sounds like the 5/8" would look the best on this rifle as the brake is just a bit larger than the end of the barrel . I was confused about the location of the muzzle brakes as he is located in Wyoming and runs an auction on e-bay with buy in now prices of $23.99 so I am definately getting one (or maybe two). I will post pics when this is complete. Thanks for the measurements as I am out of state on business and want to have all my parts waiting for me when I get home.

RSH

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7135603093&rd=1