I've got a Mossberg 590 with the Marine-coat finish on it. It has the 8 rd. tube mag, factory ghost rings, bayo lug, metal trigger housing, and 20 inch barrel. I was reading up on some Mossbergs, and it looks like they built them in a LOT of different configurations. Mine is just stamped 590, not 590A1. How would I tell if I had the "heavy barrel" on it, and how would I know if I had the DA trigger? What would be the double action on the trigger on a pump shotgun do? Mine was an early model. I had read about them in American Rifleman and ordered one as soon as I could, but it took awhile to get because they were under a tremendous backlog trying to get them made for the military. It seems like it basically has all the features of a 590A1, but I don't know about the barrel. My barrel is .8585 dia. on the outside. The whole thing started when I was looking at a Knoxx recoil reducing pistol grip, and it stated it was not for use with the DA trigger.

Bron,

After reading your post, I went and measured the barrel on my 590A1 and it came out to roughly .873 outer diameter and it is very thick and heavy. I know that I have put several Knoxx stocks on both 500's and 590's without any problem. Are you looking at the pistol grip only version or the full stock? I guess that I am a little confused as well by the whole DA comment from them as I do not know of any double action version available. I think that you would be safe with what you have to use with the Knoxx. I can send you a picture from the barrel end if this will help with comparison.

the 590a1 has a few differnt things for lawenforcement millitary standards the trigger guard is metal and the safty is metal and it comes with a Heavy trigger so it will not just go off while you are running also the barrel is heavyer than the normal one most of them come with collapsable stocks and 18.5" barrels some with 20 but not many most of them are parkerized exept for mabie one or 2 that is marine cote most of them come with heat sheilds so it just sounds like you have a regular 590 special purpose as for the DA trigger It is a longer travel and it has a heavy pull so lets say like mine is 5lbs and the trigger only travles lets say .25 of an inch the DA might travel .5 of an inch and be 12lbs of pull its so you dont accidently bump somehting and the gun go off while running and jumping and what not.

Wikipedia went into a little detail on the DA trigger, but not much. The reasoning of it protecting the user somewhat with a heavier longer pull makes sense. Wikipedia didn't have any specs on the barrel, and I have not seen any elsewhere. I do have the metal trigger gaurd, but don't know about the safety unless it is aluminum. A magnet won't stick anyway. .020 thicker on the barrel does sound a lot beefier. I bought the pistol version of the Knoxx, and may buy the flip over wire stock version as well to try it. I've got to dremel it out a little for the action lock. It is pretty uncomfortable to try and push the lock up. There is a small ridge in the way. I bought a heat shield seperately, but it states that it can't be used with the ghost ring sights. It looks like a little work and I should be able to make it fit. I don't know if the factory installed them with the ghost ring sights or not. Thanks for the info!

Yes some models of mossberg came with heat shields but I dont think they did Ghost ring and heat shield combo and yes the safty is alum instead of plastic same with the trigger guard its alum instead of plastic and all the DA is for is so it will not just go off you have to intentionly pull the trigger with some effort and the 590a1 are pretty thick im not shure on how thick though been a while scence i had one in my hand. Noproblem on the info but im shure you can get a heatshield to work on it not a whole lot to em