I made a rather disappointing discovery last night, after having mounted my Aimpoint Micro on my Ultimak rail. Such a setup is basically not compatible with the Tech Sights. The sight plane is different when using Tech Sights than when using normal AK sights. It is lower. Too low. The projector in the Micro, which sits in the bottom right part of the tube, blocks out a significant part of the sight picture. Nearly the entire right wing of the front sight assembly is blocked out, as is part of the bottom of the front sight post itself.

Possibly by using the AK200 model, the rear sight could be raised enough. Aside from that, I don't know what other solution there might be. Using optics with Tech Sights is problematic. The low center rails that attach to the side mount rail are not compatible, because the Tech Sights block them from sliding on. The Tech Sights are best used apart from optics, or possibly with high rise side mounts, or with optics that sit way offset from the bore, such as the PK-AS.

Not sure what I will do. I probably will cut loose the Tech Sights in favor of the Krebs peep sight that replaces the OEM rear sight on the AK. Small possibility, I will resort to a PK-AS for this gun, and send the T1 to the other Saiga.

Jim

I have the Primary Arms micro-clone, but I discovered this same thing about 20 minutes ago mounting it on my ultimak!! UGH!!! I can barely see the red-dot, but you're right about not seeing much more.

I figure:

a) I'll be looking over the sights 90% of the time,

B) I'll probably get a quick release mount for it anyway, so that I can just flick it off if I ever want to (I never liked the 1/3 co-witness much, and think I'd like the 1/2 even less).

I'm keeping my tech-sights just because I like them so much more than ANY shorter sight-radius sights...probably just an old AR habit but I like putting my eye right up near the aperture. I just can't see how regular AK sights can be near as accurate/fast at like 100+ yards, moving from target to target.

Edited by jflow25@gmail.com