quick question about .223 barrel threading

I'm trying to thread a .223 saiga barrel. Do I need 14x1 or 1/2x28? I've read two different answers in two different places.

here says 14x1 if I'm reading it right

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=7652

Thanks to very helpful fellow member Indyarms I was able to rent a kit for threading the barrels on my .223 and 7.62 Saigas. I will describe here exactly what I did for those who are interested in threading their own barrels. Follow these directions at your own risk.

First obtain a die for cutting 14x1 LH threads (standard AK thread size)

you will also need a TAT (thread alignment tool) in order to cut the threads straight and on plane with the bore.

As most of you are aware the Saiga FSB has a sleeve that extends to the end of the barrel. You must cut this off first before you can thread the barrel.

here says 1/2x28

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-478/SAIGA-223-AR15-BARREL/Detail

These are 1/2X28 TPI thread for AR rifles. Thread all of your preban barrels with this.

It comes with a self centering tool to ensure that the threads are done correctly.

This can also be used on Saiga 223 Rifles.

Barrel shroud must be cut off first on Saiga rifles.

I'm trying to do it in 1/2x28 like I had to do on my WASR, but having a really hard time getting the threads started, so I think I need 14x1LH. Please let me know...

thanks!

ok got it figured out I have a .567" OD barrel that works best with 14x1.

dinzag 14x1 LH with .223 cal TAT - common for some AK's and newer Saiga 223 with 0.551" to 0.569" barrel o.d.'s

anyone know if a 1/2x28 could be used somehow on it? can the seemingly "extra" sleeve be removed? By extra sleeve I mean the very thin black sheet that surrounds the barrel. the hope was a "free" barrel threading since I already had the die from by WASR, and my buddy had a TAT.

Edited by kevins7189

ok got it figured out I have a .567" OD barrel that works best with 14x1.

anyone know if a 1/2x28 could be used somehow on it? can the seemingly "extra" sleeve be removed?

What year is your rifle?

Edited by Jim Digriz

another question for you guys? If I get a 14x1 LH break, does it have to be for .223? I really want a A2 style break, but the only ones I can find are for 7.62x39. Will it still work? I mean it will probably fit but will it do anything?

another question for you guys? If I get a 14x1 LH break, does it have to be for .223? I really want a A2 style break, but the only ones I can find are for 7.62x39. Will it still work? I mean it will probably fit but will it do anything?

5,56mm barrel hole is smaller than 7,62mm hole, it will work just fine

right the hole is smaller was more wondering if the larger hole in the break would make the brake less "functional" in any way? I don't know a lot about brakes but guessed if it didn't matter they'd all be the same size.

Anyone know of any places to get the 14x1LH .223 tat? Dinzag rents one i know, and found only one other place that wants $30 with $25 shipping... hope that is a website error.

Edited by kevins7189