First Conversion (pre-buy) and a couple of conversion Qs

I've watched the tutorial vids and read the detailed tutorials enough that I think I can handle to the pistol grip conversion, barrel threading, and the bullet guide addition. But, I'm not 100% sure how to do the gas piston conversion or the handguard conversion thingy, so the rifle can use normal AK compatible handguards (I want to add Tapco's or something similar lightweight). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I just saw another noob post a topic to make sure he had all the parts he needed, so I hope everyone doesn't go bat shit crazy on me for asking a similar question.

Here is my purchase list so far not counting tools - is there anything missing that you all can think of for converting a 5.54mm?

Saiga rifle

Tapco FCG (Single Hook)

AK FCG retaining plate

Pistol Grip Conversion Kit for SAW (Includes triggerguard, screws, allen wrench, pistol grip nut (no screw), cobalt drills, hole plugs & instructions.)

Nylon hole Plugs

Bullet Guide Kit

Tapco T6 Stock

Tapco Quad Rail Handguard

Tapco Saw Pistol Grip

Tapco Magazines

Muzzle Brake

Bolt on lower hand guard retainer (have no idea what this is or how to install it)

AK Gas Tube

Tapco Gas Piston

PS: Converting a rifle is frickin expensive! My wife about crapped her pants when she saw my spreadsheet. lol Good thing is that she still said yes.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

- Matt

depends on the rifle/shotgun

for example, the 12s and .308s do not need bullet guides

the gas piston is a waste.. easier ways to get 922r

muzzle break- only the 12s tend to come threaded, that might be something for another day if you got a rifle (some come threaded under the FSBs but most don't, and I think only 7.62s ever come with threads) I'm assuming you have a rifle since you said rifle and mentioned gas piston instead of gas puck which the shotguns use. In this case, don't worry about threading until you've got the rest all set.

tapco quad rail- I didn't know tapco made a quad rail, but this is the part that's gonna determine if you actually need bolt on handguard or an ak gas tube, if your thinking of the Intrafuse single piece you will not need bolt on HG or gas tube (shown here http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-267/TAPCO-SAIGA-TRI-dsh-RAIL-HANDGUARD/Detail ). If your thinking of the Intrafuse that is more traditional AK (two part, upper and lower), you will need retainers (shown here http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-391/Tapco-AK47-Intrafuse-HANDGUARD/Detail )... and if your gun is a S-12 you will need extensive mods for these more traditional handguards. A more traditional quad rail as shown here http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-223/UTG-Saiga-quad-rail/Detail does not need retainers or a new gas tube either. HOWEVER if you get a shorter quad rail (I can't find forum dealer link, so copy and paste this insto google UTG Tactical 478 AK-47 Quad Rail System and click the first link) These half size quads DO require retainers

and as for the bolt on handguard retainer and ak gas tube- that depends ENTIRELY on what kind of handguard you plan on using and is only important if you intend to put on traditional AK style

as for magazines, once your 922r compliant go milsurp (unless your talking about a saiga 12). They are the cheapest and the most reliable

if you let me know which particular saiga and handguard you want I can give you a list of everything you need.. So can most people on the forum if they beat me to it.

Edited by volkov

Thanks for the reply!

I am planning on converting two 5.54mm saiga rifles to be similar to an AK74 setup with the Tapco Intrafuse system furniture. It may look or sound cheesy, but my wife and I are planning on taking some tactical rifle and carbine courses (front sight, maybe magpul dynamics, etc) and I think this setup should be helpful since most of those schools are running AR15 variants.

Anyways, here is the tapco quad rail handguard I was looking at: Tapco AK Quad Rail. I know Tapco makes a SAIGA handguard that looks to not require any conversion, but I'm thinking that in the future for compatibility it would be best to just have AK compatible rifles.

Anyways, please let me know what you think I left off my list if you have a sec. I know you said the gas piston wasn't necessary, correct?

Thank you,

Matt

yeah, no gas piston neccesary.. That mods a bit annoying, expensive, and unnecessary

You mean 5.56/.223 I assume since you mentioned AR's. You may want to look into a 5.45 if your good at gun cleaning, simular round and half the price for surplus, but the 5.56 is usable with AR ammo if you have buddies shooting it.

Stuff your gonna need..

bullet guide

fire control group

retainer plate (for FCG pins)

tapco t6 stock... this one is dark earth which I think you want (based on your other link) and will fit your reciever http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-380/TAPCO-SAIGA-T-dsh-6-COLLAPSIBLE/Detail

saw grip and pistol grip nut to attach it to the gun- you CAN use a washer but the pistol grip nut is definately prefered (I don't own a 5.56, only the 5.45, .308 and 12 which are very simular, I imagine it probably uses the standard PG nut for most rifles.)

as for mags... not sure, .223 isn't really my thing, but your eventually going to want to get an AR magwell (offered through the dealers here) which will allow you to use cheap AR mags and also make it more like inserting an AR mag and less "rock and lock". This is probably something you might do down the road... for now probably a few ready to get mags would be a good idea.

your gonna need both an AK upper gas tube and an bolt on lower retainer, for the handguard you've picked I recommend this one

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-460/Saiga-Lower-Handguard-Bracket/Detail

I havn't installed that one myself, made my own version, but I believe it requires cutting a small ridge in the top of the barrel, once done,these are rock solid since it holds the screw. The dinzag one requires no cutting but isn't as solid, slips for some people, for others it's amazing and they've never had a problem.. but (much as I love dinzags work, you should see what he did to my shotgun!) I prefer the CSS one just because it's more like how it was intended to be.

In the future your likely going to want to do some work on the FSB or replace it to get a muzzle brake.. but from the factory it's not gonna be muzzle ready, so save that for another day.

If your using american mags (which with .223/5.56 you almost definately will thats an easy 3 922r parts..

Your gonna want to run it through one of our 922r checklists, but I think with what you ahve planned you will be safe with 922r.

I think I covered everything your gonna need.. Good luck, it's a lot easier then it looks... A LOT.. hardest part is ordering all the parts.

Edited by volkov

Thanks again for the reply.

I was planning on the 5.54 to make an AK74 type rifle with modern furniture (I know it's not a 5.56 AR15 round). My reasons for choosing the 5.54 from what I read are that first it has very little recoil, it weighs about half as much as a 7.62 and it's dirt cheap, which means I can practice shooting a lot more. PS: I don't mind cleaning after shooting.

I guess I'll plan on saving the FSB/muzzle brake/barrel threading for another day like you said. I was kind of hoping to bang out everything in a weekend on these two rifles, but alas there will always be more time.

Thanks again,

Matt

Ohhh.. ok you mean 5.45, and yes it's cheap, and just as good as the 5.56 in my opinion- it's the gun I use most because of it's ammo price. 7.62 is my favorite but 5.45 get's used since it's cheap

Your gonna want to go with surplus magazines, I THINK you'll be 922r compliant, run a check using an automatic check list, easy to find, a few linked around here.

When you decide to do the muzzle brake your going to dremel off the FSB by cutting it lengthwase along the barrel on each side, then hitting it off with a hammer, you then replace it with a bulgarian FSB and add a muzzle brake (Although the muzzle brake will likely put you over 922r, it did for me, so you will probably have to spend extra and get an american one)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give you a bought of confidence about Tapco hardware. I don't know the handguard but I bought the T6 collapsible stock and saw handgrip and they are AWESOME. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on the KVar overpriced nonsense. Plus all the Tapco stuff is warranted for life.

• 5 weeks later...

I've watched the tutorial vids and read the detailed tutorials enough that I think I can handle to the pistol grip conversion, barrel threading, and the bullet guide addition. But, I'm not 100% sure how to do the gas piston conversion or the handguard conversion thingy, so the rifle can use normal AK compatible handguards (I want to add Tapco's or something similar lightweight). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I just saw another noob post a topic to make sure he had all the parts he needed, so I hope everyone doesn't go bat shit crazy on me for asking a similar question.

Here is my purchase list so far not counting tools - is there anything missing that you all can think of for converting a 5.54mm?

Saiga rifle

Tapco FCG (Single Hook)

AK FCG retaining plate

Pistol Grip Conversion Kit for SAW (Includes triggerguard, screws, allen wrench, pistol grip nut (no screw), cobalt drills, hole plugs & instructions.)

Nylon hole Plugs

Bullet Guide Kit

Tapco T6 Stock

Tapco Quad Rail Handguard

Tapco Saw Pistol Grip

Tapco Magazines

Muzzle Brake

Bolt on lower hand guard retainer (have no idea what this is or how to install it)

AK Gas Tube

Tapco Gas Piston

PS: Converting a rifle is frickin expensive! My wife about crapped her pants when she saw my spreadsheet. lol Good thing is that she still said yes.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

- Matt

I recently installed the Tapco gas piston in an IZ-132 7.62x39 conversion. It was a $12 US made piece that added one more 922r compliant part.

I have basic mechanical skills, a decent assortment of tools, but no formal training. My goals were to have a decent but not necessarily pristine tool when done. I know pros will do a far better job than I and accepted that up front.

Installation of the gas piston was somewhat trivial. Remove the bolt carrier. Locate the dimples. Drill them out using a good quality bit, a drill press operating at the correct speed, and liberal cutting oil. Drill only as far as is required to remove the dimple. Grab the piston with a vice or other grip near the base, and twist.

Installing the Tapco piston involved applying "red" thread sealant to the threads of the new piston, turning the new one in and applying more sealant to the drilled out dimples.

The entire process took maybe 15 minutes and gave me one more compliant part without having to rely on magazine parts to arrive at a legal configuration. I cannot say if any of this applies to the 5.45 variant, but I would assume so.

This was my first conversion and it took a bit more than 2 hours of time not including refinishing (painting) which I have not yet done. Here's the breakdown:

tear down and surgery 45 min

Tapco gas piston 15 min

Tapco pistol grip 5 min

Tapco T6 collapsable stock 10 min

bullet guide 20 min

Tapco G2 single hook trigger group 20 min

Tapco retainer plate (included in above)

after-market hammer spring (included in above)

nylon hole plugs 1 minute

I chose to retain the stock BHO feature. Installing the spring was not as hard as people make out. I did not use the dental floss approach but instead a guide pin to hold things in place wile the proper pin is installed.

Assuming no broken taps I am sure I could do this again in 1.5 hours, without the refinishing.

I also have a 30 round Tapco magazine, although the stock magazine still works properly. The rifle is 922r compliant without the need to count the Tapco magazine, which was my personal goal.

Best of luck with your project. My advice is to just take your time and think about the dirlling or milling before you do it. Absolutely do use a center punch and triple check your positioning before getting carried away with the cutting. Take it slow and easy with the tapping of the bullet guide, and use plenty of oil.

DC