please help me really need some advice

hey all, i have been pondering between the sig5.56 vs a saiga conversion 5.45 i can have only one..the rifle would have to fit several bills from reliability to when shtf senario.......also that 60 gr v-max from hornady looks nasty.. any thoughts for self-defense..can it penetrate hard barriers? any info will help thank you lou

>>between the sig5.56 vs a saiga conversion 5.45 i can have only one

>> ..the rifle would have to fit several bills from reliability to when shtf senario......

>>... any thoughts for self-defense..can it penetrate hard barriers?

Neither of those...... a 7.62x39 Saiga is a better rifle for those needs.

If it HAD to be between the two rifles you mentioned, then the Sig 5.56.

IMHO, I believe the cost difference between a converted Saiga 5.45 and the SIG is prohibitive: Even after conversion, the Saiga is so many orders of magnitude cheaper, it allows you to purchase ammo, magazines, slings and other gear. That, and you'll probably still have funds left over for plenty of range time, maybe even a nice training course. If I could only have one rifle, I'd rather have a rifle AND all of the above extras than just a safe-queen. Not to mention: the best rifle is the rifle you know inside and out, and trained diligently with.

Even though you didn't mention the Saiga in 7.62, I'd like to point out that it too would make an excellent choice. Converted.

Best of luck in your endeavors!