Ace Bolt-on Front Sight Experiences?

A buddy of mine uses one. It is functional, it lines up well with his rear sight, it just looks like crap and stands out like a sore thumb on his rifle. The profile is way too "blocky" for it's location on an AK, In my opinion. But it all depends on your setup, I suppose. If you have railed handguards and such it probably wouldn't stand out as much. It also wouldn't look quite as bad if the screw heads were set in flush with the unit rather than protruding, but someone could fix that in a few minutes with a drill press. If you only care about function, it's a decent unit. Just seems like they could have at least rounded it off for aesthetic purposes on an AK.

:2c:

I was thinking about that. I'm mostly interested in reducing the front end weight as much as possible because its so front-heavy as it is. I wonder what the ace bolt-on weighs vs. the cut off factory fsb. Hey ACWeller, I don't know if you have a scale available but if you get a chance to weigh the two out let me know what kind of results you get. I don't know if these things are steel or aluminum or what but I bet a little weight could be saved on rounding it up with some grinding without necessarily sacrificing structural integrity. The aesthetics are not really a concern for me but I see what you mean about it being so blocky. I really like the drill press idea to get the screws to set flush.

-Random side note: When I typed "aluminum" it gave me the misspelling squiggles and suggested "aluminium." Does anybody else get a "British English" spell check result? Kind of weird.

OK help me out with this one. I am curious as to what advantage it offers over the stock front sight? It looks as though you are adding weight (55 g.) to the front end as this unit bolts right to the existing FSB using the windage nut from your weapon. does it just raise the front sight?

It is pointless unless the factory front sight is removed when you bolt this one on. It does not raise the front sight at all to my knowledge. I don't know if it will be better for me yet because I don't have one yet. In theory it should make for a slightly more balanced weapon by pushing the front sight block back to the gas block which is closer to your front grip. Also it could reduce snags when walking through brush and the like since it reduces the hook-like profile at the end of the barrel. I don't know if the bolt-on weighs less than the factory fsb or not but I am hoping to find that out. Some, probably including Gabe Suarez, would possibly dislike losing the hook-like fsb protrusion in the factory configuration as he is very aware of the AKs capabilities as a melee weapon or "Klingon weapon" as he puts it. This, of course, is totally sensible but I prefer a configuration less likely to get tangled on the foliage. One thing I am concerned about is the reduced distance between the front post and the rear sight possibly diminishing accuracy when using the irons, especially since I have no optic mounted. I have heard that this is the case and it makes sense to me but I don't know how pronounced an effect this will have. I may have to invest in one of those Krebs dog-leg top rails with the built in peep sights at the back over top of the pistol grip but goddamn those things are soooo over priced!

Edited by son_of_liberty

I was thinking about that. I'm mostly interested in reducing the front end weight as much as possible because its so front-heavy as it is. I wonder what the ace bolt-on weighs vs. the cut off factory fsb. Hey ACWeller, I don't know if you have a scale available but if you get a chance to weigh the two out let me know what kind of results you get. I don't know if these things are steel or aluminum or what but I bet a little weight could be saved on rounding it up with some grinding without necessarily sacrificing structural integrity. The aesthetics are not really a concern for me but I see what you mean about it being so blocky. I really like the drill press idea to get the screws to set flush.

-Random side note: When I typed "aluminum" it gave me the misspelling squiggles and suggested "aluminium." Does anybody else get a "British English" spell check result? Kind of weird.

I can weigh the two and see what kind of difference there is. I'm sure its not much.

THe only thing I can see is it gets in the way of removing the gas tube for cleaning the port but that can be worked around Im sure. Plan on using it when I shorten my barrel down to 18" on the 308.

Rhodes, that is not the case at all. Once bolted on I removed the gas tube and all was well, went back on as easy as it came off.

Hey ACWeller, thanks alot for being the test subject on this man. Much appreciated.

no problem at all. I absolutely love this thing. It totally make my rifle look different.

Also... its mirrors the krebs sight perfectly but I dont have the post or drum installed yet.

What about the weight vs. the factory setup?

its heavier than the stump I ground off. lol I would guess that it weighs the same or slightly more than the fsb/shroud combo. You wouldn't notice the difference much, atleast I don't notice it.

VladTepes, I'll get your measurements later tonight.

its heavier than the stump I ground off. lol I would guess that it weighs the same or slightly more than the fsb/shroud combo. You wouldn't notice the difference much, atleast I don't notice it.

trying to figure out if it will clear the Ultimak rail.. thanks!

trying to figure out if it will clear the Ultimak rail.. thanks!

Actually...yes it will. I've seen pics of it with an ultimak. I'll share the love \/.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=124203