I have always been fond of the HK turret rear sight, at least on a G-3.

But, I would like to know to what extent the turret is functional with an S-12 shooting slugs and buck, i.e. does 1 = 100 yards, 2 = 200 yards, etc?

Or, does the H&K merely have a high cool factory and function much the same as any peep sight?

My current favorite is my Vang Comp 870 or 1100 with an LPA adjustable rear sight, but I find that I still tend to shoot with hold-over verses sight adjustment, i.e. I adjust to a zero and then shoot by eye.

Thanks in advance!

Considering its German and therefore metric, probably 1=100 meters and 2=200 meters instead of yards. Remember though that these are calibrated for military rifles and not shotguns, so probably changing the range isn't going to matter for an S12. For one thing I can't see shooting slugs at 200 yards let alone 300, so there is probably no reason to move the rear sight at all.

I don't care for them but a lot of people seem to find them very desirable. I do know they are way more than just high cool factor, they work great for shooting clays. I've seen a pretty big difference in speed between the standard front bead, my AK style irons and the HK front ring, with the HK being the fastest for me. Usually the front ring is all you need to hit the clay. Zeroing for slugs should be easy enough using the rear sight as well so overall I think they are quite useful, they just aren't my cup of tea.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen