I started with a s 410.

Added conversion parts.

tapco double hook FCG

Tapco folding stock and Gali hand guard.

tapco saw pistol grip.

For the hand guard retainer, to compensate for the natural taper of the barrel, I put the retainer in the vise on the drill press and champhered it to seat more securely.

And had to mill out a small indictaion to clear the cross bolt.

Pleased but unsatisfed with it's feel while the stock was folded i decied an vertical charging handle would be best. So i got to work milling a piece of 304ss and added a stainless ball bearing for effect.

Once completely milled I gave the handle a quick polish to adress the areas I knew would be hard to reach once welded inplace. On the end for the ball bearing i cut a small "v" for it to rest in. And beveled the other end for a better weld.

on the carrier side. I used a portaband to saw off the old handle cleaned off the flash and all remaining paint to ensure a good weld. When fitting the new handle I moved it slightly off center toward the but of the gun, so that a good tapering weld could be achived for a factory look. ( the bevele on the handle side allowed me to get a good weld on the short side. A little bit of work with a die grinder, some jewlers files and a buffing wheel and you get this:

post-32655-0-88723900-1306694000_thumb.jpg

post-32655-0-76295100-1306694034_thumb.jpg

post-32655-0-17746900-1306694061_thumb.jpg

post-32655-0-02692900-1306694093_thumb.jpg

post-32655-0-94494900-1306694127_thumb.jpg

Had to make this a multi post cause of file size.

Still bored, I decied it needed somethign from the lathe. So I found an old peice of ss pipe and shafting. Bored out the id of the pipe to make a smooth pocket for my mounting side to press into. Then the shaft piece machied to fit. Layed out some holes in the pattern I liked, chucked it up in the super spaced and made some shavings. Once finnished I test fit on the barrel looked good but was missing something. ANODIZING! So I found a procedure for that and got to work with torch.

Also for those of you interested in the exact weld procedure I posted it in reply to this guys work. http://forum.saiga-1...harging-handle/ see post #22.

Once gallery gets working again, I'll post a link to the finished gun. The files are too big for this.

post-32655-0-35185900-1306971068_thumb.jpg

Edited by poolingmyignorance