Maiden Voyage - Aiming and Hot Barrel

Finally took my Saiga for it's maiden voyage. Had a fun time shooting at 100 yards! rolleyes.gif Couldn't shoot worth jack with the iron sights but scoped in in a matter of a few shots. If anyone can give some advice about shooting with the original sights, it would be much appreciated. But I also noticed that after about 50 rounds, my shots started spraying out a bit. It seemed as if the barrel was getting hot. I typically shot about 15-20 rounds per 30 minutes taking my time. Is it because the barrel is thin? What's your experiences?

When the AK barrel lock up, receiver and gas system were designed, it was for the specific function of bursts or fast semi auto fire at 50 meters, 5.56mm rounds are accurate to a potential of around 300-500 yards, maybe 600 in a high quality bolt gun with scope with good adjustments. but the round does not change that fact that even cold, or espically when hot, the gun is about 3-5 inch patterns at 100 yards, all would be kill shots at center mass, but it's not going to empress any judges at trick rifle shoot competitions, when my rifles starts heating up at about 100+ rounds, i gets about 3-5 inch groups without a rest at 100 yards, but at 25-50 yards this weapons system is a tack driver just the way it was designed to be. if the gun was locked into a sled and was cold, i bet you could get some ragged holes at 100 yards though.