Well I purchased three Saiga rifles awhile ago and now finally have the time to work on them. First impression of the unconverted Saiga rifle is a holy shit that trigger is horrible! I plan on converting at least one of the rifles, probably two, or maybe even all three. Since I knew I would be replacing the fire control group in at least one of the rifles I figured why not try a trigger job on one.

I was able to clean up the trigger pull quite a bit and figure this information might be useful to those who are not planning to convert thier rifles. There's really nothing to lose, if you screw it up you can always convert the rifle. First thing I noticed was that when you pulled the trigger with the hammer back in the firing position that the disconnector applies a lot of pressure to the top lip of the hammer before the hammer releases. My goal was to file down the lip on the bottom left side of the hammer so that it releases before making contact with the disconnector.

Before I started filing I marked the lip of the hammer with an O-ring pick. I marked where the trigger sear catches when the hammer is released by the disconnector. This is important because if you file past this point your rifle will fire when you pull the trigger and when the trigger is released. Keep in mind that this is a wear area of the fire control group that is going to wear slightly the more rounds you put through the rifle, so it doesn't hurt to leave a little extra.

With the hammer in the up position place a small rigid file under the bottom lip of the hammer. Move the hammer back and forth to file the bottom lip of the hammer where it makes contact with the trigger sear. Periodically check the trigger pull and then go back to filing. I filed mine to where the disconnector just barely kisses the back lip of the hammer and it releases, and then filed just a little more to where the hammer releases just prior to the disconnector making contact. After you're done filing you need to check proper function of the fire control group. With the trigger pulled back pull the hammer back until the disconnector engages the hammer then release the trigger, if the hammer is not caught by the trigger sear when you release the trigger and instead goes forward to strike the firing pin (that is removed) you went too far. If you went too far you need to convert your rifle or replace the hammer with an original Saiga hammer. Clean out any metal shavings in the receiver with compressed air, and make sure you run a patch down the barrel to clean out shavings before you fire the rifle.

I am pretty happy with the results of the trigger job, the trigger is now tolerable. The whole trigger job took about 20 minutes. On a scale of 1 to 10 with the stock trigger being a 1 I would say the trigger is now a 6. It still isn't a mauser or nice as a Tapco G2, but is something I can live with.post-26026-0-34792500-1333567182_thumb.jpg

post-26026-0-64069100-1333567412_thumb.jpgpost-26026-0-55626400-1333567421_thumb.jpgpost-26026-0-23572100-1333567434_thumb.jpg

post-26026-0-46634800-1333567560_thumb.jpg

Well I couldn't listen to my own advice.... I decided I would file just a bit more ( I can never leave things well enough alone) and now it will fire one shot when pulled and one when released. For those who are planning on doing this, stop filing when you get it to the point where the disconnector no longer makes contact with the hammer during normal trigger pull with the hammer cocked back or you will end up with this result.

I ended up tossing the hammer so as not to be in a questionable legal situation.

If anyone has an original hammer they have laying around let me know thanks......

• 10 months later...