Romanian M10 actual weight?

Does anyone know what this thing actually weighs? http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1103.aspx

It's listed everywhere as 6 lbs. But with an aluminum quadrail and that goofy flash hider, I highly doubt it weighs a full lb. less than a regular, naked WASR (which it more or less appears to be) even with the gas block/front sight combo.

There's a 74 version as well. I'm curious about that too, if anyone knows.

I don't know factually, but I am familiar with that furniture, and it is ridiculously light. With the combined front sight/gas block and that absurdly light furniture, it's possible.

I don't doubt that it's lighter. I just don't know how it's a full lb. lighter than my SAR-1 (which is one of the lighter AKs).

So I'll estimate the math:

-Remove FSB (about 4 oz.)

-Add FH (looks similar to the Tapco Razr FH, which weighs 2.4 oz.)

-Add a little weight to the Gas block for the Front sight assembly (I'm not sure, but the added FS looks like like at least half the metal of the original FSB, so call it 2 oz.).

That comes out damn near dead even. Does the furniture make up the full lb. difference?

-A wood AK stock set weighs about 2 lbs with standard plastic PG. Replace this with the stuff below.

-Tapco stock weighs 12 oz. (alternatively, romanian wire folder weighs 1 lb., 2 oz. but both M10 rifles allegedly weigh the same).

-Hogue PG (call it the same ~4 oz. as standard, but I bet it weighs a little more)

-Fancy quad rail handguard. This does look lighter than the average quad rail. But to make up the ~1lb weight difference from the wood set, it'd have to weigh nothing.

So is my assumption that this is just a typical romanian WASR/SAR type incorrect? It's made in Romania by Cugir, according to the markings. Does it use a lighter barrel or receiver?

Anyway, I'm still skeptical. Maybe it comes out to 6 lbs., 10 oz. or something, and they rounded it down. It's probably like how RAA used to list all saiga rifles at 8.3 lbs regardless of caliber or barrel length Sloppy show. It's becoming a pet peeve of mine. Why bother listing weights if you aren't going to bother being remotely close?

i own a romy m10, looks can be deceiving. mine came with the wire sidefolding stock, all i can say is that it does feel much lighter compared to handling othe akm type variants.

I don't doubt it, but I bet what you're noticing is a change in balance more than a change in weight.

Anyone have the means to prove me wrong by weighing one for me?

Edited by Dudethebagman

I don't doubt that it's lighter. I just don't know how it's a full lb. lighter than my SAR-1 (which is one of the lighter AKs).

So I'll estimate the math:

-Remove FSB (about 4 oz.)

-Add FH (looks similar to the Tapco Razr FH, which weighs 2.4 oz.)

-Add a little weight to the Gas block for the Front sight assembly (I'm not sure, but the added FS looks like like at least half the metal of the original FSB, so call it 2 oz.).

That comes out damn near dead even. Does the furniture make up the full lb. difference?

-A wood AK stock set weighs about 2 lbs with standard plastic PG. Replace this with the stuff below.

-Tapco stock weighs 12 oz. (alternatively, romanian wire folder weighs 1 lb., 2 oz. but both M10 rifles allegedly weigh the same).

-Hogue PG (call it the same ~4 oz. as standard, but I bet it weighs a little more)

-Fancy quad rail handguard. This does look lighter than the average quad rail. But to make up the ~1lb weight difference from the wood set, it'd have to weigh nothing.

So is my assumption that this is just a typical romanian WASR/SAR type incorrect? It's made in Romania by Cugir, according to the markings. Does it use a lighter barrel or receiver?

Anyway, I'm still skeptical. Maybe it comes out to 6 lbs., 10 oz. or something, and they rounded it down. It's probably like how RAA used to list all saiga rifles at 8.3 lbs regardless of caliber or barrel length Sloppy show. It's becoming a pet peeve of mine. Why bother listing weights if you aren't going to bother being remotely close?

i own a romy m10, looks can be deceiving. mine came with the wire sidefolding stock, all i can say is that it does feel much lighter compared to handling othe akm type variants.

I don't doubt it, but I bet what you're noticing is a change in balance more than a change in weight.

Anyone have the means to prove me wrong by weighing one for me?

let me get a real scale, when my incom tax comes out then i will let you know

• Like 1