Hammer / Firing pin relationship

I have some questions on Hammer and firing pin relationships. If you put the carrier into the rifle without the bolt assembly and manually bring the hammer into the forward position, you will see how forward most travel of the hammer. Putting the bolt assembly in the carrier and repeating the same procedure shows you how much "over-travel" the hammer has with relationship to the firing pin even when fully pressed into the bolt. This means that the bolt stem is being "hammered" by the hammer with the "over-travel". Having moved the FCG forward this is pronounced. I have the tromix FCG and I thought it didn't need filing but I think I will do that before firing it.

So the question is "how much" travel, if any is desirable. If that portion of the hammer were filed so that the firing pin was fully depressed but had NO excess travel, would that be a bad thing? Of course sufficient material would need to be left to allow the hammer to be re-cocked, but I believe the extended portion on the bottom of the carrier would sufficiently see to that.

The other question and relationship is that of the rearward travel of the bolt carrier. Is it the job of the main springs alone to handle the recoil of the carrier after firing, or is the resistance and upward pressure of the hammer also a required element to limit rearward travel? I would imagine that the more friction and upward pressure of the hammer slows things down, just don't know if it's a required and desired element.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Reprofiling of the bolt and hammer are offten done as reliabilty mods. Decreasing the the resisitance of the carrier returning. Yes the recoil spring is enough to absorb the recoil in a properly gassed gun. Becareful when repofiling the hammer so you don't create an insecure/unsafe engagment of the hammer and trigger.

Reprofiling of the bolt and hammer are offten done as reliabilty mods. Decreasing the the resisitance of the carrier returning. Yes the recoil spring is enough to absorb the recoil in a properly gassed gun. Becareful when repofiling the hammer so you don't create an insecure/unsafe engagment of the hammer and trigger.

Thanks for the information, and sage advice. Both the original hammer and the Tromix work with the Tromix FCG. I will experiment with the original before going to the "go forward" hammer.

Thanks again.

piwo