They are just as good as the factory handguard and they count as 1 part for 922r compliance purposes.

The only draw back to the TAPCO forearm is that the rails don't come preinstalled, but for people who are looking for a more tactical looking forearm without the handguard, you don't have to install the rails.

The only polymer handguard that is stronger is the SGM Tactical Tri-Rail http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-rifle-trirail-forearm-sgm-tactical-surefire-p-398.html. The SGM Tri-Rail won't break even if you drive over it with a full size pickup.

• Like 1

Agreed. Some people like to bash Tapco as a kneejerk reaction (and some of their stuff isn't great) but there's nothing wrong with their handguard. However, the rails have been a problem for some. If you overtighten the mounting screws they might crack the rail and cause it to fall apart. I've considered getting aluminum rails if mine break but they haven't yet on my 308 or S12. I install them by using loctite on the screws and then just tightening them till they are nice and snug. No problems yet.