Mounting a 5/8-24 flash suppressor

So I know there's more than one way to mount a muzzle device and that Saiga 308's barrels vary underneath the FSB. I'm going to take my Saiga 308 to the local Colorado School of Trades to have them remove the FSB and install an AAC Blackout which is threaded 5/8-24 tpi.

Will they be able to secure the flash suppressor with a pin or will they have to thread the barrel? I bought the rifle 3 or 4 years ago if that matters for the barrel thickness under the FSB.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I knocked mine off, threaded it myself and used a "Big Chubby".(brake)

I timed the threads to get the brake to stop where I wanted to.

Do a search, there is a thread about barrel thickness.

post-37682-0-92240900-1350553737_thumb.jpg

Edited by RED333

So I know there's more than one way to mount a muzzle device and that Saiga 308's barrels vary underneath the FSB. I'm going to take my Saiga 308 to the local Colorado School of Trades to have them remove the FSB and install an AAC Blackout which is threaded 5/8-24 tpi.

Will they be able to secure the flash suppressor with a pin or will they have to thread the barrel? I bought the rifle 3 or 4 years ago if that matters for the barrel thickness under the FSB.

Thanks in advance for any help!

A little confused here, you have a AAC Blackout which is threaded 5/8-24 tpi? So yes the barrel will have to be threaded if your using a threaded FH. You can use a crush washer.

If you want to pin it, you can do that too, my M60 FH is threaded and pinned. Just make sure that you have a 5/8-24 Tap to chase the threads inside the FH if you drill a pin hole.

Yes the Blackout I have is threaded for 5/8-24 tpi.

I'm going to have The School of Trades, a local gunsmith school, do it because they only charge negligible amounts (free student labor) and quoted me $25 for removing the sight block and pinning on a muzzle device. I've done all the conversion work on my Saiga 308 so far but that deal is hard to pass up and their turnover time is quick.

Based on what I've read on Dinzag's site, my Saiga 308's barrel should be .67" under the FSB. The Blackout's threading comes to .625"...so I'm guessing the Blackout wouldn't even fit over the end of the barrel for pinning. So that means more work...!

I'm thinking I'm just going to have them bore the Blackout to .67" so they can pin it on as planned. I just want to get the Blackout on to complete the rifle for a friendly shooting match coming up soon. Eventually I'd like to thread the barrel for 17x1 myself since Dinzag says that'll likely be the best threading for the barrel size. Then I could thread the Blackout and whatever muzzle brake I eventually get to 17x1 and ditch the pin for the Blackout.

Dad2142Dad essentially answered the question I was getting at...that a threaded muzzle device can be pinned on. That being said, obviously the ID of the device must be at least the OD of the barrel to even fit, so I know that I need to have my device bored to .67" so it can then be pin mounted.

My questions were already answered and my last post basically summed up the solution to my quandry. I'm not sure why I'd need to do a search or look through your thread about threading the barrel especially when I am not going to be threading my barrel, at least not yet. No where in this thread did I ask about how to thread my barrel but rather the necessity for it for me to be able to mount my AAC Blackout flash suppressor.