Flash hider threading

Ok so I read a little bit an noticed the pinned thread about this...BUT I still have a few questions...First where can I get that die tool, and is it really as easy as it looks with the tool? I'm not the best at working on my own stuff but would like to try...is it pretty much fool proof with that tool and does it come with step by step? Also is it very difficult to get ther FSB off an back on?

You have two options. A.) Deal with a gunsmith (total crap shoot, most of them suck and are assholes in my experience)...or B.) Do it yourself.

The gunsmith isn't cheap, but doing it yourself isn't going to save you much money. The best case scenario, if you buy everything from Dinzag you may save yourself $50-100 but that's only if you would have taken the work to a cheap gunsmith or one who'd give you a deal. The best part for me going DIY was that I didn't have to leave my insurance policy with the gunsmith for 5 weeks minimum.

It isn't that difficult to do yourself but you NEED to read up on it, get the right stuff, use a little common sense when you're doing it, and pray to god you don't screw it up (because there's nothing that'll make that a better situation, then again even a gunsmith can screw up). Read up on Dinzag's site about the .308 specific barrel info (you may want or need to cut the barrel outer diameter down)...and other stuff. You'll have to take the front sight block off and reattach it further back which is practically as much work as threading the barrel. You can consider putting a good crown on the barrel at this time, too.

Dinzag has everything you need including instructions:

http://www.dinzagarm...ools/tools.html

Also definitely check this out for tips, tricks, and thread size info (M17x1 or 5/8-24 TPI):

http://forum.saiga-1...24/page__st__60

My posts are on the last page of that thread...I threaded the barrel myself and it was not difficult (but read my post for some of my "lessons learned")

At least a few of us with the larger barrel sizes (~.67x") have gone with 5/8-24 even though 17x1 is typically recommended because the 5/8 dies can/may break on these larger barrel OD's especially with a lack of patience, cutting fluid, and finesse (5/8 is smaller than 17x1, hence larger size thread for larger barrel). I broke parts of my die during my first attempt but was able to completely finish the job after sleeping on it and trying again with more patience and cutting fluid.

Edited by ColoradoKLR650