7.62x54R SVD Dragunov (TIGR) 7.62x54R

Guys,

Just looking for a little info before I submit my paperwork. I was looking for a rifle for 1000 yards. Thought about an AK variant that is capable of 1000 yard target shooting. Do you know if the 7.62x54R SVD Dragunov would be suitable for this?

I was looking at something like this svd_308.jpg

Regards

Chris

Edited by chrismetallica1

That's a little bit different.

With a lot of tweaking, good glass, good ammunition, and skill, yes, you should be able to get an SVD to make 1000-yard shots. Right out of the box, don't expect that kind of performance.

SVD/Tigr has nothing to do with AK variant rifles such as PSL/Vepr/M76, if you want 1000 yard rifle go with the bolt action ,dont expect good results from SVD if you have no experience shooting sami rifles

PS Russian sniper 7.62X54R ammo hard to find and not cheap if you'll find it and with surplas no way you'll get concistent results. What is the tag on the SVD?

Edited by atakacorp

You are talking about Tigr not a military SVD right? if so ,same here, Tigr use to be 3000+ now days, after all this madness in the government they are 5000$+ ,,SVD if you can find it 10000+. .We are ok on 7.62X54 ammo for now 160-180$ X880rounds of surplus , I was talking about matching sniper rifle ammo 7N1 the rest surplus is mostly made for MG and will work if you want groups 100-300 yards and corrosive too,have to wash your rifle with the windex .SVD is a great marksmen rifle,Soviet/Russians dont have this word so they call it sniper rifle, if you practice and may be take a long range shooting course you will be hitting man size target at 1000 yard.

Good Luck

Edited by atakacorp
SVD/Tigr has nothing to do with AK variant rifles such as PSL/Vepr/M76, if you want 1000 yard rifle go with the bolt action ,dont expect good results from SVD if you have no experience shooting sami rifles

PS Russian sniper 7.62X54R ammo hard to find and not cheap if you'll find it and with surplas no way you'll get concistent results. What is the tag on the SVD?

Semi-auto centerfire rifles are essentially illegal in the UK except for police and military agencies. "Semi-auto" rifles are converted to or built as straight-pull bolt actions prior to sale in the UK. He doesn't have to worry about a gas-operated action reducing accuracy.

You are talking about Tigr not a military SVD right? if so ,same here, Tigr use to be 3000+ now days, after all this madness in the government they are 5000$+ ,,SVD if you can find it 10000+. .We are ok on 7.62X54 ammo for now 160-180$ X880rounds of surplus , I was talking about matching sniper rifle ammo 7N1 the rest surplus is mostly made for MG and will work if you want groups 100-300 yards and corrosive too,have to wash your rifle with the windex .SVD is a great marksmen rifle,Soviet/Russians dont have this word so they call it sniper rifle, if you practice and may be take a long range shooting course you will be hitting man size target at 1000 yard.

Good Luck

yes they are brand new from Saiga, straight from the production line. Not sure if they do them in the US as the import laws on rifles with some features are strange. I know they only import saigas in sporting configuration. The prices over here for the different specs are

SVD - Modern Russian / standard mil-spec barrel / black polymer furniture £1,780-00

SVDS Paratrooper - Para's version of SVD (Tigr 02) £2,075-00

SVD - Modern Russian / .308 NATO (7.62x51) / 4 magazines / black polymer furniture £2,089-00

They seem pretty good for the money

Good Luck

yes they are brand new from Saiga, straight from the production line. Not sure if they do them in the US as the import laws on rifles with some features are strange. I know they only import saigas in sporting configuration. The prices over here for the different specs are

SVD - Modern Russian / standard mil-spec barrel / black polymer furniture £1,780-00

SVDS Paratrooper - Para's version of SVD (Tigr 02) £2,075-00

SVD - Modern Russian / .308 NATO (7.62x51) / 4 magazines / black polymer furniture £2,089-00

They seem pretty good for the money

Lucky:) we cant get them here ,I would definitely get a paratrooper,but its me the 1.780 one looks great too

I recently bought a SVDS para version and love it.They are made by Izhmash but are not Saigas!.I certainly cant fault the accuracy or build quality, I dont think you would regret buying one.Mine is in 7.62x54r as I wanted the 'proper' calibre and has the correct Russian issue bipod and is coupled with a POSP 8x42vd scope.

post-44524-0-67199700-1360862922_thumb.jpg

post-44524-0-35753000-1360862948_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
I recently bought a SVDS para version and love it.They are made by Izhmash but are not Saigas!.I certainly cant fault the accuracy or build quality, I dont think you would regret buying one.Mine is in 7.62x54r as I wanted the 'proper' calibre and has the correct Russian issue bipod and is coupled with a POSP 8x42vd scope.

attachicon.gif2013-01-27 17.06.54-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-01-27 17.06.14.jpg

Man,i am pissed :(, thought you guys have more strict gun lows then us. could you tell me more of the UK semi,fully auto rifles, hand gun lows.Thanks

They can't have semi-auto centerfire rifles at all, they can't have handguns (even black powder), and definitely no full auto. Those rifles are straight-pull bolt actions. They CAN, however, legally own receivers for fully automatic weapons - deactivated weapons have to fulfill certain criteria, but can be readily obtained by anyone 18 or older. They're illegal in the US because they're built on real receivers, but lawful in the UK because, well, it's not like the parts to rebuild it as a real rifle can be readily obtained.

No semi auto rifles over .22lr, black powder muzzle loading pistols allowed, long barrelled handguns allowed with an overall length of 600mm (they have a rear extension fitted to the pistolgrip), semi auto shotguns allowed, and AK variants can be had from straight from Russia etc in their original configuration with no limit on mag capacity.My AK-104 and AKM are 100% Russian and Romanian respectively.Weird thing is I cant buy an airsoft replica without being a registered skirmisher (or whatever they are called) and having attended 3 club events despite holding a section 1 firearms certificate!.

Edited by richUK

i have one, had a temporary moment of insanity and considered selling it. aside from the barrel length, mine is as close as you can get to the real thing. short of buying an ndm or kbi import. i even have the adjustable gas reg.

Edited by Guest
, semi auto shotguns allowed, and AK variants can be had from straight from Russia etc in their original configuration with no limit on mag capacity.My AK-104 and AKM are 100% Russian and Romanian respectively.Weird thing is I cant buy an airsoft replica without being a registered skirmisher (or whatever they are called) and having attended 3 club events despite holding a section 1 firearms certificate!.

YOU CAN HAVE AKs in origenal configuration (fully auto!!!!) and Saiga12,Molot shotguns?

Edited by atakacorp
, semi auto shotguns allowed, and AK variants can be had from straight from Russia etc in their original configuration with no limit on mag capacity.My AK-104 and AKM are 100% Russian and Romanian respectively.Weird thing is I cant buy an airsoft replica without being a registered skirmisher (or whatever they are called) and having attended 3 club events despite holding a section 1 firearms certificate!.

YOU CAN HAVE AKs in origenal configuration (fully auto!!!!) and Saiga12,Molot shotguns?

Full auto ... No unless you are a section 5 dealer then yes. As for Saiga 12 and vepr 12 no issues they are pretty standard. This is th off the shelf config in the UK

vepr_12.jpg

Full auto ... No unless you are a section 5 dealer then yes. As for Saiga 12 and vepr 12 no issues they are pretty standard. This is th off the shelf config in the UK

vepr_12.jpg

Very nice :).What is the paper work procedure? do you have to wait some times wile Gov. checking your back ground?

By original configuration I meant with a pistolgrip, high cap mags,original receiver etc.We don't have to convert sportster versions into AK's and the rifles are 100% Russian (or Romanian etc).

Dont know if i dropped lucky with my SVDS as all the writing on the receiver is in Cyrillic script, including the safety and fire position marks and the gas regulator (no piston though, UK spec straight pull sad.png ) appears to be adjustable.

Edited by richUK