Can you thread barrel too loose?

HI All,

I recently bought the threading kit from CSS and threaded the barrel on my Saiga. I started out with the die very "open" when I was done the muzzle break wouldn't really screw on because it was too tight of a fit. So I tightened the die a little and made another pass. Now it screws on easy but almost seems too loose.Once it starts to snug up its very tight but my question is: is it easy to cut the threads to deep with the adjustable die?

Thanks,
D

well i never had to tighten my dye. i just did one pass with it "wide open" and all my muzzle devices work very well. it might be a little bit loose until its threaded about half way. i use red loc-tite and when i wanna change one out for another i use a lighter or torch to put some heat to the muzzle brake so i can get it loose. you can also do a mag dump then loosen it really quick. i used a 74 style brake for some time then i switched over to the slant brake because i like the shorter look. i think the slant brake does a good enough job but the 74 style brake is probably a little bit better.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have a question, i just received my threading kit in the mail, I've used taps before (with no oil) but never a die. My question is how should i keep it oiled spread some on the barrel and dunk the die in oil or what? I do have cutting oil so I'm good there.