I have always wanted a full velvet mount. I shot this buck first evening of season 8-15-12...Got it back a couple of days ago. Not a big deer but a good size one for the low country. We don't have big bucks like up north or the midwest but we got a bunch of them...the limit in GZ 6 is one buck a day.....Tags are only required for does. 027.gif I will say shooting one before the rut makes all the difference in the meat.....he tasted as good as any doe I have eaten.

• Like 5

They loose anywhere between 10 to 15% of the mass when you have them mounted. The antlers are full of blood in the velvet stage so all that has to be drained to preserve.

Hunting in August is a whole different ball game....It was 90 degrees when I got on stand and I had two thermo cells running and I would still get the occasional skeeter bite....The bucks are still in the bachelor groups as well so the last thing you want to see is a doe....Exactly the opposite of hunting the rut...Plus everything is still green and full of leaves so you can't see or hear that well.....a very different deer hunting experience.

Looks good! I love good quail! Tasty, if small! Run dogs? Breeds? We use English setters now, but for years we had many Springer Spaniels. I cannot decide if I like hunting for the chance to hunt and get out, or if I love it because so much because the dogs were clearly meant to do it. Its such a kick to see them cover a field!

I have to double check that we can, but I am planning to go out Tuesday for some pheasant. Can't wait!

Hunting dogs are sore subject around my house. I paid good money for weimaraner pup, the one in my avatar, and when it was time to send him off for training the wife and kids threw a fit....so now I have 3 yr old 90lb house dog that will only flush biscuits. He is great with the kids so I guess it worked out.

I love like to watch dogs work too, weather it's for birds, ducks, doves, bears, coons, deer, hogs, or just blood trailing.

Hunting dogs are sore subject around my house. I paid good money for weimaraner pup, the one in my avatar, and when it was time to send him off for training the wife and kids threw a fit....so now I have 3 yr old 90lb house dog that will only flush biscuits. He is great with the kids so I guess it worked out.

I love like to watch dogs work too, weather it's for birds, ducks, doves, bears, coons, deer, hogs, or just blood trailing.

haha.gif sounds like my "guard" dogs, thay guard the heater very well.

Nice deer mount.