Conversion for IZ-407 Saiga 12 Tactical Shotgun

I have the same setup with the addition of the magwell. Really there's not many options as for a different hand guard. One option I have looked into is swapping the Dragunov forearm out for the traditional AK hand guards. In theory this can be done. I've contacted Brian at Dinzag Arms and you'd have to purchase both upper hand guard retainers along with the lower hand guard retainer. Right now he doesn't have the uppers available and I'm not sure what the price will be when he does. When going this route you'd also have to press off the hand guard ring. After unsuccessfully pressing off the FSB I can only imagine this would be a bitch of a process better left to someone with a press. Not to mention the availability of traditional AK hand guards for the S-12. Currently the options are wood and more wood. Ironwood designs makes hand guards or you could modify an RPK hand guard to fit.

It is possible that Chaos's quad rail for the Vepr-12 will work. This is only theory as well. And currently they're still being developed/produced. You'd still need all the retainers that I mentioned above and with the $160 cost of the rail do you really want to be the first to try?

All in all it's a lot of work and more money than I bargained for. It's best to either go all in and enjoy your setup as is or do what Shandlanos mentioned and sell the build.

I beat my head many times over this. I hope this helps...

That is some great info so thank you for the quick posts.....This model was the only Saiga I could find at my local guns stores over many months of searching for one. I like the setup enough to leave it alone and move on I just like to keep modding my weapons smile.png

• Like 1

ive modified mine: post-24335-0-50211900-1354288841_thumb.j

not sure what modifications you're looking for but, yeah.

Options for your handguard setup are, the standard OEM handguard or any other that fits the same, you just have to remove the front sight and pull off the lower handguard retainer that affix's to the ring pressed on to the barrel. If you are planning on changing the style, referring to the traditional AK handguards, as mentioned by HighPlainsDrifter, it would be better to have a press but is possible to do it without as shown by Cobra76two in his thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/17824-please-help-diagnose-a-chronic-fte-problem/?p=152690