Shot my Saiga again

Well, I tried to get my Saiga dialed in again, without much luck.  The range we went to today we found out had a minimum of 50 yards.  We had planned on going to Pala which has 25 yard sight in range, and I was set up for that.  Unfortunately there was a last minute change, All  I had was 25 yard sight in targets, and all they had was SR1 100 yard bullseyes,  Neither is worth a damn for 50 yards.  The SR1 is too big to get a consistent sight picture, and the 25 yard target is too small, and covered by the front post.

I got some 3 to 4 inch groups at 50, which is terrible.  I didn't even try to get the red dot sighted in, as out of the box, it was so far off the paper, I could not find the hole when I shot.  I need to start at 25 with a large backing paper around the target.  

Also, I had a problem with the trigger hanging up.  I think the bent arm (for bolt hold open) of the hammer spring was jumping up out of place and jamming under the tail of the trigger.  Some shots the trigger was 10+ pounds or so.

They good news is my PTR91 (HK clone) 308 ran like a champ and was dead nuts on at 100, zero malfunctions.  My retro AR (Colt 602 clone) was dead nuts on also, even with its heavy trigger from an M16 FCG.

Well, the Siaga needs work.  First time an AK platform gave me grief.  My 62 year old eyes gave me grief, though.

• Like 1

I have a really dumb question... During a cease fire can't you just go out and stick a target in the ground at 25 yards?

Nope, all target have to be mounted on the fixed target frame so bullets impact squarely into the burm and do no t skip.  trust me, I asked.... Some ranges allow that.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is mine Saiga shots from 25yards/handheald. I am getting better results with my M&P15/5.56 but it is much smaller caliber. Overall I am very happy with my Saiga's (I own two 7.62), good price, shot cheap russian still ammo fine, easy to clean, true collectible based on ban on Putin :)

p616917468-5.jpg

Edited by mbjku