Mildly corrosive primer, extremely consistent loads. This is great ammo if you know how to clean a rifle.

My dad knows how to clean, he just doesnt often. Hes used to cleaning them maybe once a year. I told him that stuff light be corrosive last year when we went shooting, he asked me today if maybe he should clean his Vepr.

I think im gonna have to go over there and clean the shit out for him. He still cant disassemble his AKs. Hell of a shot though, outshoots everyone on the range, got some Navy marksman badge about 40 years ago.

I hear ya on the kids, same situ here, kids running all over and nosy neighbors so I leave it in the trunk until after kids are in bed. On top of it after a half-day of shooting the wife wants family time, not me spending the rest of the day cleaning and leaving gun parts all over the house.

This is kind off topic, but still about ammo price. I went to this "Out of Town" Walmart this morning and they have that ZQ 7.62 x 51 (Turkish) $9.95 per 20 rds. I grabbed another 4 boxes. I've been buying this ammo by the box,  here and there over the past couple years........I have a shitload of it now huh.png  

The brass is alright, but the ammo is pretty shaky for accuracy. We put 50 rounds of their 5.56 offering through a friend's AR today, and it didn't hold a very good group - ultramax reloads did better.

I agree. I have SOME M67 and I only use it if I want to eliminate ammo from the equation when sighting in an optic. It's some of the most consistent grouping 7.62x39, but I have little interest in doing corrosive cleanup. With a young son in the house, sometimes I have to put the rifles back in the safe ASAP when I get home, and may not get around to cleaning them for several days.

Understandable, sort of. I shot the shit out of a Mosin today, when I got home pulled it out of the stock and remove the trigger parts (takes about 2 minutes) and took a shower with it. After the showering, I dried the bolt and sprayed it with WD-40, dried off the action and quickly oiled it, one patch down the bore and maybe one minute spent on the rest of the weapon, then reassembly. All told about 10 minutes of effort, and all the corrosive salts carried away down the drain. I figure I needed a shower anyway - why not?

Funny that you mention a Mosin, because I got a nice surprise today. I bought a nice 91/30 earlier in the summer, and when I brought it home the bore was dark but healthy and zero sign of rust. Ran a couple patches out of it when I got home and they came out clean. Only shot it once all summer - 4th of July in the pitch dark, two rounds of Tulammo 54r, "non-corrosive." Didn't have room in the safe for it, so I stashed it back in our walk-in closet and forgot it was there. Pulled it out today and, you guessed it, rusty barrel. Pissed off, poured a gin & tonic and cleaned the shit out of it. No major damage that I can see. So much for "non-corrosive" Tulammo 54r.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

I haven't had any issues with Tulammo, in 54R or x39. I've dumped plenty of the x39 through AKs without bothering to clean, and haven't had any issues with rust. Same with the 54R. Could be you got fucked over. Any chance the walk-in closet is more humid than other parts of the house, or it was otherwise exposed to conditions your other firearms weren't? Glad there wasn't any major damage, but still, shit. I put about 60 rounds through the Mosin today. I was very, very happy with how it performed - a Type 53 I picked up at a show a few months ago and hadn't taken out yet. The trigger feels great, and I could consistently punch holes in a 1-foot steel target at 100 yards with iron sights, bayo folded. The bore's pretty dark, a bit worn, but not pitted. Still wasn't expecting much from an old Chinese rifle - it was a pleasant surprise.

I usually run a patch or two of windex through the bore after shooting corrosive, then clean as normal.  I'm assuming the ammonia in it neutralizes the corrosive residue?  I've never had any rust issues crop up after using this method.

The residue is a salt, so nothing gets "neutralized". What matters is the physical removal of the residue, which is why plain hot water works best.