can you register a rifle into a pistol?

Hello, I have a saiga rifle that I like to convert to a pistol, can I re-register into a pistol legaly? thank you for your replys.

From my understanding once its a rifle its always a rifle, but a pistol can be converted to a rifle but not the other way around. With a ak type of firearm its not as easy as a ar or something like that that all you do is change a upper. That said I think you can take a pistol and make a rifle but its still a pistol(there is something out there on thompson center guns). I would do some research on this one though for sure to make sure it is legal.

I'm no expert but I think you'd need a new receiver. Once the receiver is made into a rifle it's always a rifle. If you buy a 100% receiver you need to have it registered as a pistol when your dealer does the paperwork.

I wouldn't cut up a saiga for a pistol when good AK parts kits are still available for just over $100.

I'm no expert but I think you'd need a new receiver. Once the receiver is made into a rifle it's always a rifle. If you buy a 100% receiver you need to have it registered as a pistol when your dealer does the paperwork.

I wouldn't cut up a saiga for a pistol when good AK parts kits are still available for just over $100.

You do need a new receiver and it does need to be registered as a pistol if its a complete receiver. But a normal dealer doing just a transfer can't make it a pistol. The FFL that builds the receiver and stamps the number on it must record it as a pistol. IF you have an AK pistol, you can only add a stock to it if you first register it as a short barrel rifle ($200 stamp and all that jazz).

• 3 weeks later...