I know we have a lot of creative folks here who want something done exactly their way. Here's my idea:

The inletting and attachment points are the part that tend to require expensive machinery. So for people who want to save a few $$ and have a fun project, would any of you go for "blank" Saiga and AK furniture? These would be crude blocks of wood inletted to fit your Saigas, and that's it. The rest would be up to you.

I would probably start with pistol grips, since those work for converted Saigas and standard AKs alike.

So what say ye to that, eh me hearties?

that's a great idea for those of us with more time than money. besides.. it's always satisfying to put your own mark on something. I've made some "test" stocks myself, and the hardest part when doing them with hand tools, is getting the fit to the receiver just right. if that was already done, leaving the creative and more time consuming work to the end user.....

well, i think this idea is a winner!

• 2 weeks later...

I like it. I may even be coming into some money that could be used for this type of project... Gods know I have the time.

That does bring up a question though. Do your stocks usually require minor fitting in the area that attaches to the receiver? I prefer to have as rigid a platform as possible. Thanks.

I fit my stocks to my own guns when possible. Sometimes minor fitting may be needed, but let me stress MINOR. Of course my buttstocks come undrilled as is standard for fresh AK stocks.

Whats your price for a little bit larger than standard stock for a vepr? :ph34r:

I haven't done any VEPR stocks yet, but I happen to have a take-off set that the owner painted black. I'd need some VEPR dimensions from you, but would certainly consider it.

I already talked with BRG3 about this idea, and asked him to include a blank forend with my new buttstock. I'm going to work on shaping it with a friend more skilled than I, but after we do one together, I am definitely going to consider making one all on my lonesome. I think this is such a great concept, BR. I hope you get more ppl interested in it.

The other related question I had was, does anyone know of someone on the board who can/will machine a Picatinny rail I could mount onto my new blank HG?

Dangerman