concealed carry etiquette

Does anyone publish a book of guidelines for folks new to the world of Concealed Carry? I do wish they would. When I was new I had to learn by trail and error. Now as a L E O is see folks making the same mistakes I did. Most are minor, some are entertaining and at worst, embarassing. Some however can cause a situation that can rapidly get out of hand depending upon the location and people in the area :cryss::eek: .

I thought about writing a book on the subjest but have no idea of how to go about it so perhap one of you fine folks could take up the battle. I believe there could be a little money in it too, what with 30 plus states now recogninzing the right to carry concealed : :smoke: : .

I gues what I would like to see is a book that would give newcomers assistance in how to carry safely, how to dress, where to carry, what to do in queried by shopowners or police ( this means you failed at concealment). .........

I know that all these things can be indavidually found in different sources but no one I have seen has put it all into one clearly written book.

As examples, some of the things I have found over the years.

1. Strong side hip carry offers the best retention security and the fastest, safest presentation.

2. When shopping use your weak side arm to reach for those items on upper shelves so as not to pull up you shirt or jacket on the gun side thus exposing it.

3. Always be aware that certain positions or movements can cause your weapon to print through your clothes.

4. Concealed means concealed, giving people a peek does not impress them, they just get scared, angry, suspicious.......etc and in the end the police get notified.

5. When you get stopped by the police ( I know, your speedometre said you were only doing 25) don't just blurt out "I have a gun!". Diplomacy means all the difference in the world.

6. Mindset is all important, having a weapon on you does not mean you are ready to go out and do battle. It is just another one of the tools at your disposal to help keep you out of a bad situation. All the other tools are still in play ; eyes, ears, intuition, enviromental awareness, your attitude and demeaner. Those are tools that will keep you out of trouble, the weapon is only a last resort when all others have failed. NOTE, pride is not one of those tools. Pride will get you in trouble.

These are some of my observasions and opinions from my time as a Military Police Officer, civ Deputy Sheriff and as an armed civilian. These are the things I'd like to see written about and published for the bennifit of those are new to "concealed carry".

Disclaimer. The above is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

• 2 weeks later...