a couple questions about the s-12

hello :chris:

i have a few questions about the saiga 12

1. does the saiga 12 gas regulator in front of the gas tube come out? does it come out for cleaning? where could i get a spare one?

2. for the saiga 12 conversions...can you use the ak mag release latch and trigger guard? where could i get this work done? how much does it cost?

3. on the original saiga 12 it has the button build into the receiver. and the solid stock that folds. can this still be done since there are 2 pins for the holes where the old saiga trigger group used to be?

thanks

:donatello:

1. The gas regulator comes out by depressing the setting selector button and unscrewing the regulator counterclockwise. Once out you can remove the gas piston (the hockey puck looking thing) for cleaning. US made pistons can be found at www.Tromix.com.

2. The trigger guard and mag release can be reused but varies by conversion. An excellent conversion job is done by Tony Rumore at Tromix. Check his website to get an idea of the many options you have with conversions, and costs. You can also do a basic conversion on your own, and there are also several other companies that do them. Do some searching around the board.

3. The S-12 as imported is in a "sporter" configuration and therefore does not have a folding stock. The old axis pin holes are generally covered after conversion. Once converted you can have several different kinds of folders. Again, check the Tromix site for possibilities. Also check the gallery section of the forum for lots of pix and examples.

4. Welcome to the forum!

thanks

nice gallery of saigas! i figured out only the 410 and 20 ga use the old ak style trigger guard and latch.

i didn't see any with the russian buttstock. maybe there are not enough usa made parts available?

this is what i want to have someday just like this one.

saiga12k.jpg

could some one post a picture of the regulator plug that comes out and the switch you have to depress to take it out. any idea what the thread pitch is? sounds like a hk to me. it requires a tool to take off right? can someone also post a picture of the tool?

At the front of the gas tube where the regulator (blind plug) is located there is a detent pin that locks into one of the two notches in the plug. Depress this pin with a small punch or something to unlock the regulator while unscrewing it counterclockwise. You can use a quarter to take it out. If it's really gunked up and doesn't want to turn use a pair of pliars to turn the quarter. Once you get it out a few turns you won't have to hold the pin down. When you put it back, turn it clockwise until it seats all the way down while holding the pin depressed, then back it out until it locks into the first notch in the plug. If this first notch is on setting one back it out another half turn to the #2 setting for shooting low brass light loads. Only use #1 when shooting magnums or slugs. I have found a wooden golf tee makes a good tool to depress the plunger pin if you flatten the point on it. You can wrap your fingers around the barrel and depress it with your thumb leaving your other hand free to turn the plug. Also the wood won't scratch the finish.

At the front of the gas tube where the regulator (blind plug) is located there is a detent pin that locks into one of the two notches in the plug. Depress this pin with a small punch or something to unlock the regulator while unscrewing it counterclockwise. You can use a quarter to take it out. If it's really gunked up and doesn't want to turn use a pair of pliars to turn the quarter. Once you get it out a few turns you won't have to hold the pin down. When you put it back, turn it clockwise until it seats all the way down while holding the pin depressed, then back it out until it locks into the first notch in the plug. If this first notch is on setting one back it out another half turn to the #2 setting for shooting low brass light loads. Only use #1 when shooting magnums or slugs. I have found a wooden golf tee makes a good tool to depress the plunger pin if you flatten the point on it. You can wrap your fingers around the barrel and depress it with your thumb leaving your other hand free to turn the plug. Also the wood won't scratch the finish.

thanks a golf tee and quarter got it.

Here's a little section from the FAQ's on the forum re: the gas regulator, with a pic and some helpful hints. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=262

thanks those pictures were very helpful to understand what and how the detent works.

i was thinking it was like my ptr. interesting design similar yet different. i like it.

M22x.10 RH

The muzzle is the same diameter but .75 pitch.

Tony

thanks maybe you can help

i asked alot of questions about the regulator because i would need to have the semi mode shut off to have a folding stock. i have a m70ab2 that is shut off with a allen bolt and nut. i hope someone can help me find one at a hardware store that would work or make a custom one for me. i need to buy one for my project. here are a few pics of my m70ab2 with gas cut off bolt.

bolt.jpg

qbertsm70.jpg