Many Many new Saiga owner questions

First of all, hello! I've been on the sidelines for a while, following the board to see what everyone is doing with their Saigas. I bought 2 Saigas (one vent & one rifle sight) this week and put in for a bunch of AGP magazines also so I should be ready for this.

I have a bunch of questions concerning the Saiga conversions/features I hope can be answered.

1. Most of the Saigas I'm seeing here have had a barrel shortened, to 18 or 18.5". What would be the gain in having them cut the barrel so they do not accept the factory chokes anymore? Would that make the gun fixed improved cylinder? Am I missing something or are they modded to internal threads for Remington or another mfg? I like the idea of a permanently attached polychoke...is this a good idea?

2. What kind of shot is being used in the shotgun competitions? I would like to jump in the KCR match in April and need to know what I'm looking at as far as the type of ammo and how may rounds I will need? Is there an average distance targets are being set up to shoot at?

3. Is the Saiga reliable with 2 3/4 ammo, both 00 and #7 or 8? Does it cycle with most kinds of ammo?

4. Is anyone using a vent rib model for matches, or should I get the rifle sight model pg converted first?

5. Is there anything that is a "must have" when getting the conversion done, besides pg and U.S. fcg?

Thanks ahead of time!

#1. Personally I haven't shortened my barrel, I will though when I go my conversion though simply to have a "handier" shotgun, looks like your going for compition though so that may not be the best thing for you to do a polychoke may be an idea someone else who shoots comp can probally answer you better than me on this one

#2 This I haven't a clue on I would assume that at least 100 rounds of #7(ish) shot would get you through a stage but once again a comp shooter will help you out better than me here too.

#3 My stock S-12 has had 1 failrue to feed with 2 3/4" ammo (remington bird loads) in the 2 years I've had it. I chalked it up to the guy who loaded the mag. That was on setting #2, switch it up to setting #1 and it should eat any full powered 00 buck (some of the reduced loads may or may not work depends on your gun)

#4 From what I've read seems like most guys are rifle sights or optics.

#5 make sure you have your parts count right, When I do my conversion I'll be getting Jeric's automatic last round bolt hold open, that would probally help you in competition, also the speed release lever he makes wouldn't be a bad idea either.

All this is coming from a guy who dosen't shoot competition with his S-12, just random water jugs and old tin cans so your expereinces may vary

So setting #2 for birdshot, but #1 for heavier loads? I'm probably only going to be using 2 3/4 all the time. Can I get away with using setting #2 with 2 3/4 and then going to #1 if I use 3"? Is that the general rule?

Use setting #1 for everything. If you find a load that does not work use setting #2.

Hope this helps.

What are the possible sight setups for the vent rib model? I have seen the pics of the Glock rear w Krebs front, the HK, etc. Is anyone keeping the vent and just doing something different to it for better aquisition? Would a Krebs front sight work with the vent rib still in place?