Bummed in California

:cryss: I joined the forum a week ago, read for hours, ordered an S-410 from a gun shop in Calif. The gun shop wasn't sure about the deal...called his supplier....the supplier said OK to the 410 and the 20, but the 12ga was no good in Calif. OK ok ok after reading more I realize that the S-410 isn't gonna fly...at least not leagally. (It will still be interesting to see if the "illegal" S-410 is delivered) more on the actual delivery later.

The rest of you are working hard to keep your conversions legal....The shotgun was to be for home defense and I don't want to go to "the big house" over something that with luck will never be used much other than dialing it in. And looking over my shoulder makes my neck stiff. :unsure:

Now with the Saiga off limits I still want a .410 under the bed. The Mossberg HS410 is about all that I've come across so far but it's a pump, not a semi.

Calif law isn't fond of the detachable magazine or the threaded barrel but a semi is still ok. Anybody have any second choice favorites, I havn't spent a lot of time with guns since that little Asian "non-war" in Viet Nam. If you can bring me up to speed, I'd appreciate it.

Check with Will A Red*Jacket.

I know he developed a California legal AK.

Don't see why he couldn't do it to a Saiga.

Cal Legal AK http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programmin....asp?Prodid=266

Red*Jacket http://www.redstick-firearms.com/index.html

I don't think a Saiga-410 with some sort of fixed mag conversion would be easier to load than a tube fed pump. I do believe Saigas are banned by name in CA, so you would have to have it re-built on a non-CA-listed receiver.

No, not all Saigas are banned by name. The ones imported under the Kalashnikov name are, but the EAA and RAAs are fine to own. Keep in mind that this is only for rifles. CA banned all simiauto shotguns that use a detachable magazine.

:cryss: I joined the forum a week ago, read for hours, ordered an S-410 from a gun shop in Calif. The gun shop wasn't sure about the deal...called his supplier....the supplier said OK to the 410 and the 20, but the 12ga was no good in Calif. OK ok ok after reading more I realize that the S-410 isn't gonna fly...at least not leagally. (It will still be interesting to see if the "illegal" S-410 is delivered) more on the actual delivery later.

The rest of you are working hard to keep your conversions legal....The shotgun was to be for home defense and I don't want to go to "the big house" over something that with luck will never be used much other than dialing it in. And looking over my shoulder makes my neck stiff. :unsure:

Now with the Saiga off limits I still want a .410 under the bed. The Mossberg HS410 is about all that I've come across so far but it's a pump, not a semi.

Calif law isn't fond of the detachable magazine or the threaded barrel but a semi is still ok. Anybody have any second choice favorites, I havn't spent a lot of time with guns since that little Asian "non-war" in Viet Nam. If you can bring me up to speed, I'd appreciate it.

get a winny lever 9410.

I don't think a Saiga-410 with some sort of fixed mag conversion would be easier to load than a tube fed pump. I do believe Saigas are banned by name in CA, so you would have to have it re-built on a non-CA-listed receiver.

No, not all Saigas are banned by name. The ones imported under the Kalashnikov name are, but the EAA and RAAs are fine to own. Keep in mind that this is only for rifles. CA banned all simiauto shotguns that use a detachable magazine.

REALLY? That's news to me!

Why do you want a .410 for home defense? I guess I'm not understanding the logic on this one.

Are all 12 ga shotguns against the law in California? If not, I'd get me a nice SxS 12 ga coach gun.

Two barrels of buckshot should take care of any intruder.

REALLY? That's news to me!

Yeah, you can head over to calguns.net for details, but the jest of it is: some dude got an RAA Saiga and got busted by the cops somehow. Had a good lawyer and the judge found that even though it was basically the same gun as the one listed, because it was imported by RAA and had RAAs markings it was not banned by the list.

Of course this will not stop you from being arrested if a cop wants to arrest you, but when you land in court, there is already precedent to protect you. The risk is now having to end up in court instead of going to prison.

All of the AW stuff still applies. No mags over ten rounds, no pistol grips with detachable mags, etc, but a stock Saiga rilfe is legal to own.

As for the Saiga shotguns, there is talk about people modifying the mag to load from the bottom, then fixing it to the shotgun. That would get around the AW laws, and because it is a shotgun, if you have a fixed mag, you could also add a pistol grip. One would have to do the mods out side of CA, but after the mag was fixed, you could import them into CA and make a killing.

One good thing about living in CA, you are forced to know the laws on the books to keep your ass out of the clink.