AK74 muzzel brake on a 7.62X.39

Okay. Here is the deal. I had a gunsmith put a Bulgy AK 74 muzzel brake on my converted Saiga 7.62X.39. Normally would this work without opening up the inside diameter of the muzzel brake? He said it would, after he measured it with caliperes. Mine was left unaltered, aparently, it will not work this way, or the alingment was not correct. It blew out the bottom edge of the muzzel brake and grazed the top right inner edge of the muzzel brake as it exits the muzzel brake, causing the rounds to strike 10 yards in front of me and to my far left.

I was aiming downrange at a 50 yard target, when I seen the snow flying up 3 yards to my left and 10 yards forward. I only did that twice. Before I new something was not right. I should of stopped the first time I seen the snow fly up that close, but I kinda thought I was seening things. Anyways, the gunsmith said he would correct this, but I was wondering if the AK74 muzzel brake would normally need to be opened up, it is after all a smaller calibere than the 7.62X.39.

Okay. Here is the deal. I had a gunsmith put a Bulgy AK 74 muzzel brake on my converted Saiga 7.62X.39. Normally would this work without opening up the inside diameter of the muzzel brake? He said it would, after he measured it with caliperes. Mine was left unaltered, aparently, it will not work this way, or the alingment was not correct. It blew out the bottom edge of the muzzel brake and grazed the top right inner edge of the muzzel brake as it exits the muzzel brake, causing the rounds to strike 10 yards in front of me and to my far left.

I was aiming downrange at a 50 yard target, when I seen the snow flying up 3 yards to my left and 10 yards forward. I only did that twice. Before I new something was not right. I should of stopped the first time I seen the snow fly up that close, but I kinda thought I was seening things. Anyways, the gunsmith said he would correct this, but I was wondering if the AK74 muzzel brake would normally need to be opened up, it is after all a smaller calibere than the 7.62X.39.

The AK 74 is a 5.45x39 bullet. So it's 2.17mm narrower. That's a lot of difference...might want to consider finding a new gunsmith, he put you and fellow shooters in danger with that decision. You may want to check your muzzle too, it may need to be recrowned. There's a small chance that the barrel will be bulged or cracked too.

Edited by AegisDei

The AK 74 is a 5.45x39 bullet. So it's 2.17mm narrower. That's a lot of difference...might want to consider finding a new gunsmith, he put you and fellow shooters in danger with that decision. You may want to check your muzzle too, it may need to be recrowned. There's a small chance that the barrel will be bulged or cracked too.

The barrel does need recrowned! Dam. The face of the barrel is chipped all up! I did not see any cracks or bulging in the barrel. Glad I only fired 2 rounds.

the 7.62x39 does not need nearly the clearance [proportionally] as the 5.45 . 5.45 has a very high degree of yaw as it leaves the barrel . The 74 brake should have worked . The sight assy must be installed true to bore and the brake ran up as tight as possible against it [eleminate wiggle]. I've been using the 74 assy from K-Var on 7.62's for years now without any problems . I.D on the 74 brake from K-Var is 8.5 mm , which is needed for the 5.45 , and enough for the 7.62 . sorry it didn't work for you , it really should have

the 7.62x39 does not need nearly the clearance [proportionally] as the 5.45 . 5.45 has a very high degree of yaw as it leaves the barrel . The 74 brake should have worked . The sight assy must be installed true to bore and the brake ran up as tight as possible against it [eleminate wiggle]. I've been using the 74 assy from K-Var on 7.62's for years now without any problems . I.D on the 74 brake from K-Var is 8.5 mm , which is needed for the 5.45 , and enough for the 7.62 . sorry it didn't work for you , it really should have

I believe. It is not true to bore then. I know others have posted that they have used the AK74 brake without a hitch. Thanks. Take care, glocklon