Saiga Rifle questions

Hello, folks.

I am sorry to ask such a stupid, novice question, but I do need your help. You see, SAIGA rifles are fairly cheap, and, from what I heard, are better made then most AK rifles.

The only problem I see with them is that they do not accept a hi-cap AK mags. I heard few rumors about how to change that, and would like for you to verify or dismiss them.

1) Saiga is built on a 1.5mm stamped receiver.

2) You can change Saiga 223 into a high cap version with a bullet guide kit and robarm magazine follower.

3) Where do I get a bullet guide kit and how do I install it.

Thank you very much for all your expertese, and please, forgive me my ignorance.

D.

1. Think it is 1.2mm. Someone can correct me if that's not right.

2. Need the bullet guide and maybe trim the mag catch a little.

3. Get the guide from Dinzag here on the forum.

Please check out http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=8856 as it will answer many questions you probably have. You probably know you cannot just slap a hi-cap mag in the rifle without doing a psitol grip conversion and adhering to ATF sec. 922r rules to keep your AK legal.

Welcome to the forum!

1. Think it is 1.2mm. Someone can correct me if that's not right.

2. Need the bullet guide and maybe trim the mag catch a little.

3. Get the guide from Dinzag here on the forum.

Please check out http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=8856 as it will answer many questions you probably have. You probably know you cannot just slap a hi-cap mag in the rifle without doing a psitol grip conversion and adhering to ATF sec. 922r rules to keep your AK legal.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

1. Receiver. I was hoping it was heavier then that. I am considering to get 2 saigas. One in 5.56x45 (.223), another is in 7.62x51 (.308). I am sorry for using metrics, but I am originally from Europe and still think metric. Is 1.2mm sufficient for .223 cartrige?

2. WHat exactly is a magazine follower and what does it do?

3. My computer has problems with loading pics from Dinzag guide, saying "Picture not found." Besides, I don't have many tools. Just the dremel and a drill:-)

4. AS far as pistol grip conversion - no, I would rather have a "sporter stock" (one with the thumb hole).

5. Just how accurate is Saiga in 5.56 compared to, lets say Mini14 and M16?

6. Just how accurate is Saiga in .308 compared to M14, and PTR-91?

THank you very much

and once again, please, forgive my ignorance. I am a starting gun owner:-)

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

1. Receiver. I was hoping it was heavier then that. I am considering to get 2 saigas. One in 5.56x45 (.223), another is in 7.62x51 (.308). I am sorry for using metrics, but I am originally from Europe and still think metric. Is 1.2mm sufficient for .223 cartrige?

I do't think that it is even 1.2mm, yes it is sufficient.

2. WHat exactly is a magazine follower and what does it do?

The follower sets in the mags body and the spring pushes it up to force the rounds into position at the mags feed lips.

3. My computer has problems with loading pics from Dinzag guide, saying "Picture not found." Besides, I don't have many tools. Just the dremel and a drill:-)

Your drill could do the job but a drill press is better. Maybe you have a friend....

4. AS far as pistol grip conversion - no, I would rather have a "sporter stock" (one with the thumb hole).

5. Just how accurate is Saiga in 5.56 compared to, lets say Mini14 and M16?

On par with the Mini, but less than a AR15.

6. Just how accurate is Saiga in .308 compared to M14, and PTR-91?

Less than the M14/M1A, and at or maybe slightly below the PTR-91 (depending upon your rifle)

Edited by Longhunter-CO