Saiga-12 Troubleshooting

We finally had a nice day out here so I took my Saiga-12 out for the first time. Two things came up, and I figure if anyone can help me its you folks..

First - I used two different types of shells. I used slugs and birdshot. With the slugs, almost every single one jammed - as in it would not properly eject. The birdshot on the other hand worked flawlessly. Now this is strange to me, I was expecting the opposite to happen. The ammo I was using was as follows:

PMC 2 3/4 MAX Rifled Slug 1oz Velocity 1600 fps

Winchester Steel shot 3" 1.25 oz 2 shot 1300 fps

Now since the slugs are labeled at 1600 fps and the steel shot is at 1300 fps, wouldnt the slugs be a hotter load even though its a 2 3/4" round? The guns behavior today was counterintuitive to me. (gas port set to #1) Am I missing something here or is the Saiga just a really picky eater?

Second, and more important, how do you get the bolt to stay open? with my WASR-10 I can pull it back and it gently let go and it will remain open. With my Saiga, I just cant seem to get it to stay put no matter what I try, it always springs back shut. Reloading mags was interesting, I had to put the gun on my leg, with one hand pull the bolt back, and while holding it, insert the mag with my other hand. Ive got to be doing something wrong here.. I can feel the spot where it would catch, but it springs forward every time. Ideas?

You will need to shoot the gun a bit to break everything in properly.

As far as the bolt hold open, the newer guns have a small tab sticking out of the receiver near the trigger. You pull the bolt back, then push the tab up and let go of the bolt. It will lock back to ease mag insertion.

You can get a full mag in on a closed bolt with some practice. It involves hooking the front edge of the top shell on the bolt. Press the mag in slightly to compress the rounds and hook the front lip of the magazine into the receiver. Keep pressure on the front lip of the mag and rotate until it locks in place.

Keep in mind that not all mag wells on AK style receivers are created equal. Some are simply far too tight for a few mags I pick up -yet the magazine that comes with the rifle fits like a charm.

Well.. essentially from what I was told (from gunsmith), the person making the AK uses the mag as a template, files the receiver until a nice fit.... taps the ash from his cigarette.... done. Next.

Of course, when you buy other mags the fit isn't always that simple (or downright impossible).

A couple choices...

1) file out the mag well a LITTLE bit to not be so tight (I've seen several that won't even go in unless you wedge them in place). You can take metal off...you cant replace it (let's not get too technical people).

2) file / sand down the magazine to fit into the well.

Then repaint (if required).

...........Of course, if the issue is that you have 10 thumbs and not used to "rocking it into place": Practice makes perfect.

~S

Edited by whatmanual