Top Cover Saiga & AK-47

Just purchased Saiga .223, saw one on the rack at my friendly local arms dealer & liked the looks of it. I also noticed the price which seemed quite fair. I talked w/ him about Saiga's reputation as well as doing my own research. Went back & bought it a week later. I've had it out once & shot it, love how it shoots!

I am wanting to put a scope on it & have looked into my options, anyone know if the AK-47 top cover will fit the Saiga .223, & if so would this be as good to use as the side mount? I found top covers for each, for the Saiga on eBay & the AK-47 @ Cheaper than dirt.

Receiver cover mounted optics are not very highly thought of on the Saigas. They quickly lose their zero as the cover is not stable enough. Go for a side rail mount. Welcome to the forum!

Receiver cover mounted optics are not very highly thought of on the Saigas. They quickly lose their zero as the cover is not stable enough. Go for a side rail mount. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the quick response & the welcome. Just thought of another question- any height of rings matter low, medium, high?

Thanks again

Much appreciated!

Just thought of another question- any height of rings matter low, medium, high?

First of all there are two types of sidemounts--a high rise and a low rise. Check some examples at http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/mountsksak.html then depending on how big ass your scope is you can better determine the size rings needed.

Excellent,

Thanks again

'sokay! :up:

I recently got a saiga 16 7.62x39 and want to put a red dot on it

I have scoured the internet for days, hours a day, brownells catalog (online and print)

googled every possible combination

I like the optics down low, close to the bore

I always like the scout forward mount for a red dot (which I think is perfect for this gun) and today ordered an Ultimak mount

do a search and it's easy to find, it's reported to be very secure and solid

most likely will put an ultradot 30mm, they come with low rings and are very tough, used in bullseye pistol comp and on magnum hunting revolvers (have one on my 41 mag)

Excellent,

Thanks again

'sokay! :up:

I recently got a saiga 16 7.62x39 and want to put a red dot on it

I have scoured the internet for days, hours a day, brownells catalog (online and print)

googled every possible combination

I like the optics down low, close to the bore

I always like the scout forward mount for a red dot (which I think is perfect for this gun) and today ordered an Ultimak mount

do a search and it's easy to find, it's reported to be very secure and solid

most likely will put an ultradot 30mm, they come with low rings and are very tough, used in bullseye pistol comp and on magnum hunting revolvers (have one on my 41 mag)

Sorry bout' that that last entry was a reply to the above entry regarding the Ultimak mount for the Saiga....

The following link is regarding this type of gas tube replacement mount...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=796