Which - Saiga 7.62 or 308???

Advantages disadvantages of a 7.62 versus a 308.........

In my opinion it has alot to do with personal taste. The 308 is a larger bullet and has far more power and range. The 308 is a very popular sniping round, and for good reason. With good ammo and a decent rifle you can get RELIABLE hits at 800 meters. Thats far beyond what your going to get for reliable hit with the AK

The reason most militaries shifted away from such large rounds in their military rifles is because in full auto with such a large round you lose control. Not really a issue for most of use semi-auto civilian shooters.

My local range has a limit of about 150 meters and even the largest in my state tops out at about 400 yards I believe, so such long range isnt really a need for me. Dont get me wrong I love large rounds If I had the money I would buy a .50 cal in a second and bring that to my local range :)

The 7.62 x 39 is perfect for my needs decent range for the distances I shoot and good power and is relatively cheap. I also like the price and variety of magazines out their for the plastic, metal, clear, green, tan, 30rd, 40rd, 55rd, 75rd even 100rd are all pretty easy to find.

I picked the x39 because I wanted it mainly for plinking and home defense.

Even in the worst shtf scenario, I can't imagine needing a shot longer than 100 yards.

I live in a neighborhood in the country.

Hilly, curvy, etc.

Few lines of sight longer than 50 yards.

And, 7.62 is much cheaper to shoot.

And I like to shoot! :D