Ultimak scout rail on a 223/556

I'm researching putting an Ultimak on a stock (unconverted) 223/556 Saiga. Since the gas tube is what holds the handguards on, how will the Ultimak do the same job?

Has anyone done this before? I've searched and can't seem to find good answers.

The gas tube does not hold the handguard. The handguard is held by a screw on the sling loop and the receiver.

However, if you want to add an Ultimak, you will definitely need to do some dremeling on the handguard to make space for the barrel clamps of the Ultimak.

The gas tube does not hold the handguard. The handguard is held by a screw on the sling loop and the receiver.

However, if you want to add an Ultimak, you will definitely need to do some dremeling on the handguard to make space for the barrel clamps of the Ultimak.

It should work fine. I just got a Saiga .223 and the Ultimak comes w/ a new handguard and the front end is the same as Robarms guns so....

I'm getting one and if it works I'll post my findings.

It should work fine. I just got a Saiga .223 and the Ultimak comes w/ a new handguard and the front end is the same as Robarms guns so....

Well, it does on both of my poly stocked Saigas. I have a 223 and a 39 both early EAA imports and both of them have a little flange on each side of the gas tube that sits down into two grooves in the inside of the handguards, keeping the handguards from sliding forward off the rifle when the gas tube is in place. There is also a long cross pin through the gas block that slides into a metal reinforced channel at the front of the handguards. There is a screw hole in the bottom of the receiver, but it is not used. and the sling loop screw only holds the sling. It does not thread into the gas block like it does on my Vepr. My WOOD stocked Saiga uses the sling and receiver screw method... perhaps they went back to that design a while back.

It would seem then that the Vepr mount and handguard combination will work on new Saigas, but not mine...

Well, it does on both of my poly stocked Saigas. I have a 223 and a 39 both early EAA imports and both of them have a little flange on each side of the gas tube that sits down into two grooves in the inside of the handguards, keeping the handguards from sliding forward off the rifle when the gas tube is in place. There is also a long cross pin through the gas block that slides into a metal reinforced channel at the front of the handguards. There is a screw hole in the bottom of the receiver, but it is not used. and the sling loop screw only holds the sling. It does not thread into the gas block like it does on my Vepr. My WOOD stocked Saiga uses the sling and receiver screw method... perhaps they went back to that design a while back.

It would seem then that the Vepr mount and handguard combination will work on new Saigas, but not mine...

A set of new handguards and hardware should be very easy to come by. hint