Easy Saiga conversion?

Hey guys, I want my .223 Saiga to look more like a Galil. The problem is I live in an arpartment with a roomate and have access to only the basic hand tools. Will it be possible to do some things?

There is is Tapco galil handguard made for Saiga I plan on using.

http://www.midwestarmory.com/page3.html

4th Item down, does anyone have experiance with this item, will it be hard to put on?

For the Stock It'll be ACE, but Im not sure what way to go.

http://riflestocks.com/SaigaAK.htm

This says no mods required, but is not excactly what I'm looking for.

I'd like for the Pistol Grip(probably a Tapco) to be mounted alittle more forward, like a Galil.

http://riflestocks.com/AKStampedNoMods.htm

The top item AK Universal Receiver Block says can be used with a Saiga, then I'd just use the Folding Skeleton stock with it. Will that receiver block be drop in, with the original stock off, or will milling/drilling be required?

Will the new PG be able to be screwed in with that Receiver block setup, or will new holes have to be drilled for it?

And lastly, the G2 should be able to just drop in-place replacing the old one correct?

I'll also be using the ACE clamp on front site for a Galil look as well, but that should be easy.

Sorry for so many questions. If something is not clear please feel free to ask or PM me.

Thank you again, you guys have a good one.

Congrats on your Saiga....now the fun begins!

The TAPCO handguard will be an easy install. The old one comes off and the replacement goes right on. Just make sure to get the Saiga version, not the standard Galil handguard (the one you mentioned is correct).

The ACE stock you pointed out adds a pistol grip to a non-converted Saiga. It looks a little goofy once it's installed and it sounds like you want more of a classic look. Also, by not moving the FCG you can't drop in the TAPCO G2 group.

That leaves you with doing a complete conversion. It's not that hard, and you can do it with simple tools: variable speed drill, Dremel tool, and standard hand tools are all you need (although a drill press would be handy). If you do that, then you can replace the FCG (3 parts), the handguard (1 part), the pistol grip (1 part) and the buttstock (1 part) -- for a total of 6 compliance parts which is more than enough. Here's a link to an excellent tutorial: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm It took me two weekends (part time) to get mine done - plus I had to wait for some parts in the middle.

The ACE receiver block you listed doesn't require any modification -- but it doesn't sit as flush as an internal block. With either style block installed, your pistol grip will fit with no extra work. Make sure you order a pistol grip nut, though - most grips only come with the screw. You can get one at Cope's (www.copes.com) -- it's on the AK page, three items up from the bottom of the page on the left hand side. Other places have them, too.

The TAPCO G2 group will "drop in", although I recommend getting a retainer plate to replace the shepherd's crook spring. You can find them at Cope's, Midway, TAPCO, etc. They run around $10 and they will make your life infinitely easier. If you reinstall the bolt hold open (BHO) device, you'll have to take a little off the hammer support so it will all fit, but it's easy with a Dremel.

I hope this helps. Check the Tech Section stickies for some good tutorials and links and if you get stuck, just ask. There are plenty of smart guys around here that know what they're doing (they must -- I managed to get mine converted!)

Jim

Congrats on your Saiga....now the fun begins!

The TAPCO handguard will be an easy install. The old one comes off and the replacement goes right on. Just make sure to get the Saiga version, not the standard Galil handguard (the one you mentioned is correct).

The ACE stock you pointed out adds a pistol grip to a non-converted Saiga. It looks a little goofy once it's installed and it sounds like you want more of a classic look. Also, by not moving the FCG you can't drop in the TAPCO G2 group.

That leaves you with doing a complete conversion. It's not that hard, and you can do it with simple tools: variable speed drill, Dremel tool, and standard hand tools are all you need (although a drill press would be handy). If you do that, then you can replace the FCG (3 parts), the handguard (1 part), the pistol grip (1 part) and the buttstock (1 part) -- for a total of 6 compliance parts which is more than enough. Here's a link to an excellent tutorial: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm It took me two weekends (part time) to get mine done - plus I had to wait for some parts in the middle.

The ACE receiver block you listed doesn't require any modification -- but it doesn't sit as flush as an internal block. With either style block installed, your pistol grip will fit with no extra work. Make sure you order a pistol grip nut, though - most grips only come with the screw. You can get one at Cope's (www.copes.com) -- it's on the AK page, three items up from the bottom of the page on the left hand side. Other places have them, too.

The TAPCO G2 group will "drop in", although I recommend getting a retainer plate to replace the shepherd's crook spring. You can find them at Cope's, Midway, TAPCO, etc. They run around $10 and they will make your life infinitely easier. If you reinstall the bolt hold open (BHO) device, you'll have to take a little off the hammer support so it will all fit, but it's easy with a Dremel.

I hope this helps. Check the Tech Section stickies for some good tutorials and links and if you get stuck, just ask. There are plenty of smart guys around here that know what they're doing (they must -- I managed to get mine converted!)

Jim

Thanks for the reply.

So you're saying the second stock(the one that is just the stock and the receiver block) will allow the Pistol Grip to be put on without work? That's great, I don't want to use the stock unit with the grip built in, it looks goofy to me. And using that seperate PG and stock will allow the G2 to be used?

Thank you again for the help.

Edited by Spartan20
So you're saying the second stock(the one that is just the stock and the receiver block) will allow the Pistol Grip to be put on without work?

"Without work" is a relative term. It will require you to do the full conversion that's described in the link I provided - there's no free lunch! Depending on how old your Saiga is, you may or may not have to cut the holes for the new trigger group and the pistol grip nut. You can find out by field stripping and looking inside the bottom of the receiver. If you can see the holes described in the drawing in Step 4 of the tutorial, then you're all set. It looks like most of the recent Saiga 7.62x39's already have the holes cut - they are just covered up with the trigger plate.

And using that seperate PG and stock will allow the G2 to be used?

Yes, if you move the trigger forward, the G2 FCG will drop right in.

Jim