SAIGA 308 20 round mag DIY build.

Update-

Be sure that the follower is flush with the mag body when pushed up by the spring. There have been reports of the last few rounds not feeding correctly due to misalignment with the spring pushing more to middle and front rather than the back of the follower. Possibly during spring cutting and bending? The few I have dicovered were simply fixed by re-extending the back of the spring so it resembles a curve rather than a straight configuration. Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
Update-

Be sure that the follower is flush with the mag body when pushed up by the spring. There have been reports of the last few rounds not feeding correctly due to misalignment with the spring pushing more to middle and front rather than the back of the follower. Possibly during spring cutting and bending? The few I have dicovered were simply fixed by re-extending the back of the spring so it resembles a curve rather than a straight configuration. Thanks for the feedback.

Have had some feedback indicating that the tapco followers are hit and miss in their cut configuration. Some have used Yugoslavian AK followers with better results. I have not had any problems unless the springs were weak, but a fellow shooters Saiga didn't get the same results as with my rifle with the very same mags. His fed 18 rounds consistently, but was FTF for last two rounds about half the time with the 20 round type modification. So it may be a combination of rifle and mag? We both got good results with the 18 round retainer configuration style mags. Think this was due to push on the spring at the rear from bolt inside mag.

ALSO- you can get a saiga spring from AGP arms-it is the 12 gauge 10 round mag spring for hefty $12. same size as 308 spring, but longer, just cut to match length of factory spring for good fit. They also have a plastic retainer piece for 12 Ga that can be cut to fit into 308 mag($12 for that kit too) The 12 ga spring looks good for 30 rounds of 308-which is what we,ve been toying with a little bit-trying to weld a 20 round FBMG and 8 round factory together-LOL What great fun.

Here's a picture of the no-spring guide, screw base plate retainer finished product. Base plate was painted with flat black enamel. Used black steel #8 phillips head sheet metal screws 5/16" long. Prefered the black steel to painting a working surface.

post-6505-1187215417_thumb.jpg

post-6505-1187215433_thumb.jpg