How much chamber pressure can an s-12 handle?

That would be good for 60,000 PSI. What about tony's 444 marlin 410, thats gotta handle 42,000 PSI right?

Any educated guesses on what the S-12 could reliably handle?

I would hope that it could handle more than either of those, but I haven't seen the s-100.

Andy

It's not just the chamber pressure that is the issue. The more you neck the case down, the more backthrust you will get on the bolt.

I had a bad batch of AR-15 bolts years ago, and they would last about 400 rounds in the 50AE AR's, but in the 440 CorBon AR's, they would break after about 2 shots. The 440 is a 50AE necked down to 44.

Tony

What was your fix in that situation?

Some Ballasticians I have been speaking with guesstimated that the chamber pressure could rise as much as 4 times between the .50 cal projectile seated in a sabot vs. necking the case down to .50 with same projectile in a rifled barrel. Also with the large diameter of the 12ga. base there would be greater backthrust compared to smaller calibers with higher chamber pressures.

Is there a way to test the backthrust in lbs in a S-12 to failure?

Andy