Optics advice

This may be less of a .223 Saiga question, and more of a general optics issue. Found some other items on the forum about optics, maybe this is what everyone is looking for, its just not clear from skimming some of the other posts.

I ordered a mount - picatinny type rail, it has a rail mount on the side and a rail above the receiver. The upper rail does list to port a bit. I'll fix that. Otherwise it seems pretty solid.

First question, Is over the receiver the best spot for optics? Anyone try forward "scout" style mounts?

Second, whatever the positioning of the mount: What to put on it?

For shooting at the range, and maybe even a little brush hunting, I am looking for a good combination of grabbing a sight picture. Sure would be nice to have a scope capable of 1 MOA at 100 yards, and still have some close-in option, through the scope, or possible to the side or under it. My experience with the iron sights of the type on the Saiga is that they are made to center on someone's torso at about 60-70 Yds. Not exactly what I plan to do most with the rifle.

Close in option doesn't need to be laser, although the original .223 AK I shot years ago was equipped with a laser-pointer. Lots of fun out to 50 Yds or so, But wasn't much help after that.

I have seen the Elcan products (and other such megabucks items) but was wondering if there is something simpler and cheaper.

Any recommendations out there?

YV

Edited by yankee-V

Thanks, Buck,

That is a nice option. I browsed all the Valdada stuff on their website. The 4X24 M2 looks sort of like what I am in the market for, but like you said, not cheap. I like the look of the 3X25 CQB too. Anyone know of a scope that can do long range and pick up a CQB picture too?

I know that something fitting this description of dual-use could be a severe compromise, or very expensive if not.

YV

Thanks, Buck,

That is a nice option. I browsed all the Valdada stuff on their website. The 4X24 M2 looks sort of like what I am in the market for, but like you said, not cheap. I like the look of the 3X25 CQB too. Anyone know of a scope that can do long range and pick up a CQB picture too?

I know that something fitting this description of dual-use could be a severe compromise, or very expensive if not.

YV

Bushnell has a Banner model that's 1-4x32. Supposedly for shotgun use, but I plan to put one on my 223.

Bill

Edited by BillTX