newbie conversion question

So I'm a day or so away from pre-ordering my first S-12 from Gilbert's Guns and I was wondering about the conversion process. I saw the Steps, Tips, etc thread, and a couple other sites illustrating it, and I believe I grasp the concept but before I drop the hammer:

Realistically, how easy/difficult is this conversion? I have all the tools, but how easy is it to screw up? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but never fooled around with firearms before except for drilling and tapping a couple of scope mounts or threading a barrel.

I noticed Tromix is not doing anymore conversion until 2009. If I wuss out on this, is there a company that still does the conversion?

Just want to know what I'm getting myself into before I cough up the dough :dollar:

on a side note, my younger brother owns a Saiga in .223 and is also leery of conversion, especially because of the need for a bullet guide (having to make it out of pipe). He doesn't want to convert to a pg stock, just hi cap mags. BattlerifleG3 is making him a kick ass stock :super:

The conversion shouldn't be a problem for you. Just take your time as this is your first effort. Red Jacket and Jammer on the forum also do commercial conversions. Tell your brother to get a bullet guide from Dinzag (also on this forum) and that should allay his fears. He still needs to follow 922r if he wishes to use hi-cap mags.

Welcome to the forum!

The conversion shouldn't be a problem for you. Just take your time as this is your first effort. Red Jacket and Jammer on the forum also do commercial conversions. Tell your brother to get a bullet guide from Dinzag (also on this forum) and that should allay his fears. He still needs to follow 922r if he wishes to use hi-cap mags.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the quick reply. I just called Gilbert's and gave them my info, so all is good in the world until the bill comes :rolleyes:

ok more questions!

what kind of a stock can I use? Will any AK stock fit? Tapco T6 collapsible? I'm in the dark about this one lol.

Already decided I'm going with the Tapco SAW grip, had one on an AK and loved it.

Does anyone make US made handguards? Haven't seen any for the S12.

Finally onto the parts count. I'm ordering the 19" version with threaded external choke. Putting a pistol grip on it would raise the count to 15 parts right?

so I need 5 US parts:

FCG - 3 parts

Buttstock - 1 part

PG - doesn't count because I'm adding it

Thats 4 parts, what else, other than the AGP mags (i'd rather not depend on the mags to keep me legal), is US made?

AK stocks for stamped receivers will fit, including the Tapcos. There are some US handguards that will fit with a bit of customization. With a US FCG, PG, and buttstock, you have ten foreign parts and are compliant with 922r. You can get a US made gas piston from Tromix (or Wraithmaker) that will help you juggle your choices of parts a little.