Im thinking of trading in my ole sks for a saiga .223 soon, and of course im gonna convert it. Conversion is not a problem, ive built aks from parts kits before. My confusion comes from the magizines issue, hi-cap saigas are to much $$ and back ordered to all hell, ak-74 mags need mods to gun OR mags OR both? Im wondering if anyone has tried vepr .223 mags?

Im also confused about the trimming of the trunion where the front of the mag looks up to it. they made this part too narrow to accept "unmodded" mags. this is the best course if you have more than 1 .223 ak yes? now if this is your only .223 ak, modding the mag is easier, or less risky with your rifle atleast? And about the feed ramp, is it nessasary or would a nice barral throat do the same? PLease understand, im not critisizing the usefulness of the WECSOG methods developed by some of the saiga owners here, just trying to understand what im about to jump into!

the magazine situation sucks.

vepr 223 uses AK74 magazines with robarm 223 follower the follower is also US mfg might be able to get a bulk purchase for slightly nicer price.

pita but is nicer to mod the mags and not the rifle. screw up with the rifle you really want to toss the rifle or wait to have to get something fixed? easier to toss a magazine if you mess up.

feedramp. you want one. throating the barrel and making a ramp in it just never cared for it. looks ugly would hate to have the rifle KB like a glock. feedramp is necesary if you go with AK74 mags or galil and sar3 mags.

I didnt have to mod the trunion or magwell for my AK74 mags with robarm follower the mags were modded. best to install the feedramp first then work on the mags.

I did everything on sheik yerbouti's sight exept for filing down the receiver protrusion in the mag well, didnt do that for my 7.62x39 or my 223. no trunion work either.

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion

take your time think things out. if you need help ask around more.

Edited by mrapathy2000